Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

b43.blacklist=yes

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,855 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 18 April 2015 - 05:01 PM

Hey guys, will someone tell me how to check if this is being blacklisted.  I am trying to get MintKDE13 to work.  I installed it but the OS won't boot up, I get a bunch of text and then it freezes.  Here is a link to the Release notes that has these directions: http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_maya_kde.php

I started in Compatibility Mode and installed.  This has worked with other Mint distro's but not KDE13, so I wanted to check this is being blacklisted.  It is supposed to be in compatibility mode in my understanding, but thought I would check if possible.

I push Tab to get into compatibility mode, I have read that if you hold Tab at start you can get into grub, is this true?

Here is the quote:  "To boot the live DVD, choose the "Compatibility mode" or add the following kernel argument to the boot options: b43.blacklist=yes"

How do I add this argument to the Boot Options.  I think I've done it before but can't remember how.

Even better, how to check it as in this quote:  "If not present already, in Grub, modify the boot options to add: b43.blacklist=yes"

Thanks pcpunk

Edited by pcpunk, 18 April 2015 - 05:08 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,855 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2015 - 08:47 PM

Okay, I think adding this to the Boot Options is done by Holding down the Tab key>waiting for the option to add to come up>then there is this "--" I seem to remember someone telling me to put a space after the -- then type in the argument b43.blacklist=yes,

like this "-- b43.blacklist=yes" is this correct?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#3 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2015 - 03:52 AM

pcpunk, while I know that would be the case with adding forcepae (--forcepae), I'm not going to go on a limb and state that's the correct way to perform that task. 

Nick had me use another method of blacklisting some items that I don't want, whether it would apply to your issue or not, I'm not sure would by the right thing to do. 

Of course, if you cannot boot to a GUI, it may have to be handled differently, or the way it says on the site. Though I'll take a look at it for you. Being that Linux Mint 13 (all variants) are based on Ubuntu 12.04, this may be helpful. Boot the system as called for, then add what you want without adding anything in front of it. If the instructions called for '--' to be added, it would be there. 

See the first block of code? The last item? There's nothing in front of it, meaning it won't load at boot. Getting to that point is the tricky part. You'll have to carefully follow instructions on this. Note that this page is an example of a blacklisted item, not how to do it. 

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=166624

Though according to those same release notes, the firmware can be installed post-install. Whether or not this means you can whitelist it later is beyond my knowledge. Yet it would seem that if you can add the firmware afterwards, then it should work, so that you can remove it from the blacklist. Otherwise the card won't be available for your use & there would be no point in adding the firmware. Though removal from blacklist once the firmware is installed & you're inside of the OS, is easier than from boot. It can be done with whatever text editor needed. 

Nick had me use geany, which took all of 15 seconds to install. 

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 19 April 2015 - 03:54 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 19 April 2015 - 05:12 PM

Nick had me use geany, which took all of 15 seconds to install.

I only had you use Geany because Nano and Vim can be a bit confusing.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2015 - 12:16 AM

I only had you use Geany because Nano and Vim can be a bit confusing.

Yes, I believe in this case, if pcpunk is still even bothering with Mint 13, geany won't or shouldn't be needed for this purpose. Mint 13 has a built in text editor for this sort of thing, as I found out when removing the mediubuntu repository from the list of places to check for updates, as it's no longer maintained & will only give errors if left in there. 

Installed Mint 13 MATE on my notebook with no issues. 

pcpunk needs to return & state his intentions, so that we can continue or end for now, no need to continue if he's moved on. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users