Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nvidia GeForce GT 740M being weird..

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 LayA

LayA

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 18 April 2015 - 01:03 PM

Hi guys, Lovely site here.

Ive owned this laptop for about a week now, bought it off a friend who only used it 3 times, it's still all under store/toshiba warranty (thank god)

just want to know if this is a software.. or a hardware issue, ive looked up everywhere that the two drivers conflict against each other,but i thought they run both together anyway being optimus display.
occasionally ill get a code 43 error in device manager, a few restarts fix it, used to be worse though, if i didnt disable the geforce GPU it would blue screen, have never used the GPU or nvidia control panel, it isnt in my tray/desktop menu.. it's in control panel but i click to open and the window flashes like its going to open and does'nt but does show up in task manager, ll post below that Speccy recognises that it is present in the machine.. along with the rest of my specs.
I have all the latest drivers, i've installed windows 7 and normal windows 8 and now 8.1x64bit (what im running now) umm i've done restores, if anyone has an solutions that would be fabulous because i dont really want to wait around laptopless for a week. and i need it for work aswell.

By the way i'am overclocked up to 3.40GHZ with TurboBoost.

Attached File  Untitled1.png   37.49KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Untitled.png   95.8KB   0 downloads

Edited by LayA, 19 April 2015 - 07:24 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 LayA

LayA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2015 - 09:38 PM

Anyone?

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 18 April 2015 - 10:26 PM

Hi LayA :)

May I ask you where you installed these graphic card drivers from? If you run dual GPUs on a laptop (like right now, Intel and NVIDIA), you'll need special drivers from your manufacturer for your laptop model, not the ones from NVIDIA website.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 LayA

LayA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2015 - 10:33 PM

I've installed all types of drivers from everywhere to be honest, Nvidia, etc.
although since i installed 8.1 i can't find 64bit drivers for my exact laptop.
http://www.mytoshiba.com.au/support/computers/satellite/l50/pskl6a-013004/  < exact model 
even tried the windows update's drivers for the intel&nvidia.

Edited by LayA, 18 April 2015 - 10:34 PM.

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,193 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2015 - 10:41 PM

That's a pain. Windows 8.1 is known to have graphic card drivers issues if you don't install ones for it specially. Also, its even worst if you have a dual GPU. Its late and I'm not on my computer now but tomorrow I'll give it a look.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 LayA

LayA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2015 - 10:42 PM

No worries man ill check back as soon as you come back :)

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,736 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2015 - 07:24 AM

Just an idea!  Go into the bios and disable the on-board graphics.  I have the 4000 chip it is suppose to switch depending on demand from on-board to the card maybe it is not for some reason.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#8 LayA

LayA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2015 - 07:27 AM

Just an idea!  Go into the bios and disable the on-board graphics.  I have the 4000 chip it is suppose to switch depending on demand from on-board to the card maybe it is not for some reason.

Nothing is listed in the bios, INSYDE 1.40 "" to either change graphics or disable the Intel. i've seen around that there is a discrete option on some pc's but that's mainly lenovo or hp.

#9 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,736 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2015 - 08:55 AM

I looked around again, there is a hidden advance section in the bios.  Look over some of the links maybe they will be of some help.

https://www.google.com/search?q=INSYDE+1.40&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,193 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2015 - 09:02 AM

If the option isn't there in the BIOS, you might have to update it to get the latest version as it could have been added in a future update.

unite_blue.png

#11 LayA

LayA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2015 - 09:05 AM

1.40 is the latest BIOS for my motherboard im pretty sure guys, on this page only shows the bios 1.40 link: http://www.mytoshiba.com.au/support/computers/satellite/l50/pskl6a-013004/download

#12 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,736 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2015 - 09:13 AM

Check the Google stuff may find a gem!

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,193 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2015 - 09:15 AM

Did you also install the latest drivers for the Intel Graphic Card?

unite_blue.png

#14 LayA

LayA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2015 - 09:26 AM

I'm trying to flash the modded 1.40 that unlocks the menu's and im getting an error, have never EVER gotten this error before and i've updated so many machines.
Yes i'm running as admin..  error.png

Also attached what my Bios looks like at the moment.

Attached Files

Edited by LayA, 19 April 2015 - 09:28 AM.

#15 LayA

LayA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2015 - 09:27 AM

Did you also install the latest drivers for the Intel Graphic Card?

Yes i did indeed. Version: 10.18.10.3345

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users