Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

files from unused programs

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 JamesPeters

JamesPeters

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 18 April 2015 - 08:44 AM

When I run an analysis with CCleaner, it lists a lot of temp files, cookies, and other items from browsers I don't use.  How would i get results from Chrome, IE, and others when I have never used these browsers on this computer?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 18 April 2015 - 09:17 AM.
moved from Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware Software

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2015 - 09:12 AM

Hi JamesPeters :)

The thing for Internet Explorer at least is that every browsers will end up being in its cache since it acts as a "web" cache for Windows, but it's named after Microsoft Internet browser. So this is entirely normal. As for Google Chrome, I guess that the cache builds up on updates checks that it does to see when to update itself. It's normal for all these caches to fill up despite you not using the programs, since they have services and processes running that will build up the cache. It'll take much more time than if you were actually using these browsers to surf the web, but still.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 JamesPeters

JamesPeters
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2015 - 11:33 AM

Is there any way to stop Google from putting stuff on my computer?  As far as I know, I have no Google programs on my computer.  I use Ixquick for search, although I do visit other Google-owned web sites.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2015 - 11:37 AM

We can check yes.
3Al62Pm.pngMiniToolBox
  • Download MiniToolBox and move the executable file to your Desktop;
  • Execute MiniToolBox and check the following options:
    • List Installed Programs;
    • List Last 10 Event Viewer Errors;
      Yjt97o0.png
  • Once this is done, click on Go and wait for the scan to complete;
  • Once the scan is complete, a log will open. Please copy/paste the content of the output log in your next reply;

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,773 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2015 - 04:02 PM

Why does CCleaner clean up Internet Explorer items when I don't use Internet Explorer?
About CCleaner's Applications tab

Also be sure to read...Why Running CCleaner Every Day Could Slow Down Your Web Browsing
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 JamesPeters

JamesPeters
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2015 - 11:18 PM

Yes, I discovered this when I ran CCleaner once and lost all my settings related to web pages, some of which wouldn't even recognize my passwords--what a nuisance! That is why I said I did an analysis with CCleaner.  I used it to see what was there, and I didn't have it delete anything.  I thought I could select what not to delete, but couldn't figure out how, so I gave it up. 

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,773 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2015 - 07:03 AM

I thought I could select what not to delete, but couldn't figure out how, so I gave it up.

Most of that info is in the Applications tab.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2015 - 09:05 AM

You have to uncheck the things you don't want to delete. CCleaner (if I remember correctly) also have a feature called "Intelligent Cookies Scanning", which means that it'll monitor your web browsing to identify cookies that should be kept (like the ones that let you auto-login or connected on a certain website and/or forum or the ones that handle the customization of a website you visit). Personally, I would uncheck:
  • Cookies;
  • Site Preferences;
  • Saved Form Information;
  • Saved Passwords;
When you are to delete data via CCleaner, so you won't end up in that situation again.

unite_blue.png

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,773 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2015 - 09:09 AM

CCleaner’s Intelligent Scan for Cookies Explained

#10 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,061 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 19 April 2015 - 09:29 AM

The existence of internet explorer history to be deleted might be related to the observation I made a while ago at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/556669/why-does-ie-do-thishistory-seems-to-be-history-of-all-files-on-pc/ .
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2015 - 09:31 AM

quietman answers this question in his post #5, look up the first link he have in it.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users