Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gt520m Laptop battery issue

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Knowlesy

Knowlesy

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 18 April 2015 - 08:23 AM

Hey all, 

been playing on my Rv520 laptop recently,

It runs 8gb ram, i5-2410m duel core and an nvidia gt520m graphics card,

When playing an intensive game like H1Z1, I'm getting frame drop and i've figured out why... 

I always noticed the screen would flicker between dim and light, and I worked out this is the battery, I think the game is too intensive and is using up all of the available power, so much so that it does not have enough to constantly charge the battery, therefore it flicks between high performance and power saving mode (i've also tried it on balanced and i get the same outcome. 

I realised this when I overclocked my graphics card using Nvidia inspector, I overclocked it from 740mhz to 800mhz, which increased my frames on medium settings to 40 consistent from 25-30, But It was not until my laptop flagged up saying 10% left i realised it was actually too powerful (i think thats the issue anyway)

I then put the settings back to stock, applying the defaults, which did not cure the now constant flicking from battery to mains, I then done a system restore to an update i made 3 days ago, but this has still not fixed the issue, It's flicking between battery and mains just as much now as it was when It was overclocked!!! 

It's fine in any task apart from intense games, Heat is not an issue, Without my cooling mat i'm consistent at 55c with overclocking, with the cooling mat i'm sat at 45-49c consistently. 

Is it just the power to the laptop that is not enough? the stock charger is 19v

Before overclocking, I could play for a few hours and only lose 2% battery from it switching to battery power for a second or 2 periodically, 

Since overclocking (and then returning back to stocks) I played for 30 minutes and was down to 67%!!! 

any advice? This laptop was bought in germany and has a 2 pin to 3 pin plug adapter on the end, could this be bottlenecking the power supply? or do I need a more powerful charger?

any advice is welcome, 

Lee

Edited by Knowlesy, 18 April 2015 - 08:26 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 19 April 2015 - 06:52 PM

If I were to guess I'd say that the overclocking has damaged some thing(s).

I'd also suspect that while the sensors didn't pickup any overheating hot spots could have happened and done damage.

If a fully functional power adaptor and battery can't keep enough power flowing into your system the problem isn't the adaptor or the battery. Tryint to cram more power into the box can only do more harm.

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users