Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Won't load POST just a black screen with blinking period?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 placidus

placidus

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 18 April 2015 - 08:05 AM

Hi this is my first post here and y computer won't boot untill POST, it starts up to Asrock-that's some program already installed in my computer-it's not a problem, so it just starts up till there it doesn't show the Windows logo but takes me to a black screen with a blinking period-not a cursor.

I've read articles to fix this but with a blinking cursor, and in my case it's not a cursor that blinks but a period. So any help?

Also since this is my first time here, is there a way to attach images? Because i took some photos of what my monitor only shows up at boot or I'll just post them to a third party image sharing website and paste here the links?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

I use
A Samsung desktop computer
Windows 7,
bit32,
2gb installed ram or 1022 total memory
Cpu: Intel® Pentium®

ps, I remember before this happened, i left my computer for a moment not in sleep and when i get back to shut it down i saw the black screen with blinking period, i didn't mind it since i have to go elsewhere and just shut down the AVR.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 placidus

placidus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2015 - 08:24 AM

And i dont have any boot discs, i think i have lost them before. I am also able to enter the BIOS by pressing F2 or Delete button but i don't know how to use it, i can post the pictures' link if anyone wanna help? thanks.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,820 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 18 April 2015 - 11:24 AM

Specific model number, please.  Samsung makes a large number of systems and we need to be as specific as possible.

Desktop or laptop?

Louis

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 18 April 2015 - 01:11 PM

since this is my first time here, is there a way to attach images? 

Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options

Post2_zpsf05c0430.png

When you click on More Relpy Options  you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you want to post, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

BCreply1_zpsc36d42fc.png 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 placidus

placidus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2015 - 05:29 AM

Specific model number, please.  Samsung makes a large number of systems and we need to be as specific as possible.

Desktop or laptop?

Louis

Tbh im not really sure about the exact model, and it's a desktop not a laptop.

Here is just what i see/know about it

Copyright © American Megatrends inc.
Bios date: january 7 2013 20:33:33
H61M-VS3 USP P1.50
Cpu: Intel Pentium Cpu G2010 @ 2.80GHz Speed: 2800MHz
Total memory: 2048 MB, (not 1022 sorry)
Microcode update: 306A9/15

Its also out of the warranty period,i have it for almost 2 years.

And it occured after an update from Windows, my antivirus detected a new virus and requested to restart in 15 minuted then it happened.

Some pics I took: https://twitter.com/fadedfrown/status/589740247509962752

Tonie

Edited by placidus, 19 April 2015 - 05:45 AM.

#6 placidus

placidus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2015 - 05:48 AM

since this is my first time here, is there a way to attach images?

Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options

Post2_zpsf05c0430.png

When you click on More Relpy Options  you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you want to post, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

BCreply1_zpsc36d42fc.png
Yeah thanks but since im not on my computer and only on my phone, i couldn't attach them, my phone's low on memory so i just posted them here lol: https://twitter.com/fadedfrown/status/589740247509962752

Any help? Thanks.

Edited by placidus, 19 April 2015 - 05:49 AM.

#7 placidus

placidus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2015 - 06:07 AM

Hi,

I have a problem with my computer that it won't boot up just a black screen with blinking underscore/period, you can check it out from my profile and see Topic I've sarted.

So i wanma run it to safe mode to see what it's problem but since it won't boot until the Windows logo, i try pressing F6 to start safe mode (or Instant Flash from what my computer previously describes it) but it says "No supported device."

I have no idea so I plugged in a flashdrive to see what it can do and when im done pressing F6, it scans the files inside my flashdrive and stops/it hangs up and i have to hard turn it off again and encounter the same error.

Please i need a solution to fix this i have many important files in my computer that some of them aren't covered by back-up.

More detailed problem link in replies.

Thanks.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 19 April 2015 - 09:07 AM.
merged this which was a separate topic into this topic.

#8 placidus

placidus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2015 - 06:10 AM

moderator edit: removed link since it leads to this topic after merging other topic with this one. Queen-Evie

Edited by Queen-Evie, 19 April 2015 - 09:06 AM.

#9 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,743 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 19 April 2015 - 06:51 AM

F8 not F6 is how to get into safe mode, depending on your problem it may or may not work.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#10 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,743 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2015 - 06:59 AM

I responded to your other post about pressing F8 not F6, looking at the photos F6 is to Flash your bios.  You said you could get into the bios, go there look around for "Set to Default" then save that it may get you out of this mess.

#11 placidus

placidus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2015 - 08:19 AM

Thanks for the answer, it indeed didn't work and sorry about F6, my bad but F8 still has no use as well as all the other Function keys don't seem to work, i guess i have to fix its problem first.

Thanks.

#12 placidus

placidus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2015 - 08:24 AM

I responded to your other post about pressing F8 not F6, looking at the photos F6 is to Flash your bios.  You said you could get into the bios, go there look around for "Set to Default" then save that it may get you out of this mess.

Yeah, I found it under Exit>Load UEFI defaults(i think i misarranged the letters, idk).

I clicked it, then save changes and exit then i try to boot it again, still no luck

#13 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,743 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2015 - 08:52 AM

I looked on Google there are several articles on that board and the bios, check into them should be of some help.

Phil

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 19 April 2015 - 09:31 AM

Set the BIOS to the legacy setting.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#15 placidus

placidus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2015 - 04:18 AM

Thanks for the helps. I researched a little about the motherboard and i think i will just clear the CMOS or make a bootable cd to be able to enter windows again pft.

tonie. x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users