Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Full Memory - tried everything and now I have LESS

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mindiemonster

mindiemonster

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 18 April 2015 - 01:50 AM

Hello.

So my computer was telling me that I was low on memory. I keep a lot on my computer so I wasn't hugely surprised. I got myself a slave drive and moved everything to it (over 10GB of stuff). Then I deleted it off my computer and emptied my recycle bin. It still showed that I didn't have any memory. So I ran disc cleanup. That only help by MB's. So then I deleted all my old restore points. That got me about 3GB of memory. I let it go at that, because that's enough memory to make my computer not nag me and figured I'd fight with it later. However, now I'm having to do disc cleanup and delete my restore points two to three days a week or my computer fills up. I have not downloaded any new software, I've googled like crazy trying to figure out what the heck is going on, and I'm at my wits end. Help?

Thank you,

Melinda 

PS - Today I adjusted how my shadowstorage, too.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 18 April 2015 - 04:57 AM

- Does the Disk Clean Up tool in Vista have an option called "Clean System files" (or something like that) ?

- Use Piriforms's Ccleaner to delete the entire "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" folder. I am curious how large that folder is. Ccleaner can tell you that. With every new Windows Update that folder grows & grows. Ccleaner can clean out more locations/folders.

- Firefox, Internet Explorer & Google Chrome can be configured to delete all temporary files when the user closes the program. GOOGLE it on how to do that.

#3 mindiemonster

mindiemonster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 21 April 2015 - 12:59 AM

I've gone to clean system files before, and it didn't make much difference. On the other hand, piriforms ccleaner got rid of over 6GB's of stuff - thank you. That said, over most of that was from IE, which I've NEVER used! I don't suppose, by chance, someone would tell me how I had 3MB of temporary files on a program I never use? Oh, and that software distribution/download folder only had about 40KB's on it. 

Edited by mindiemonster, 21 April 2015 - 01:02 AM.

#4 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 21 April 2015 - 02:27 AM

- IE is used by Windows itself and some other programs. Don't ask me which.

- Use the free program TreeSize to tell you how large the different folders are. It could turn up some surprises. Recycle bin could still contain (a lot of) files. Just see what the program reveals.

- Are there any installed programs that run e.g. upon startup ? Or at a scheduled time ? And then add (a lot of) extra files (backup programs ?) ? Ccleaner (Tools, startup) also reveals that kind of info.

#5 MarkMCS

MarkMCS

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 22 April 2015 - 07:14 AM

Hello Mindie.  I'm wondering what size your hard drive is, as the numbers you're talking about aren't that large. How much is used and how much free space is on the disk?  Do you have any monitoring programs like Diskcheckup installed and running at startup? if configured to refresh often, the data files can grow very large, but this may just be a too small hard drive. Your windows folder alone is probably 15 to 20G (pointing to it wont give you an accurate figure. you need to go to the folder properties)

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.  -Emo Phillips

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users