Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comcast modem issues

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bookishspider

bookishspider

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 18 April 2015 - 01:14 AM

Ok so my sister was having issues with her internet so i thought i would work on my troubleshooting skills and go over to her house and try to figure it out since I am trying to get into IT and have taken several computer and networking courses. So I went over there and her computer is reading the modem has a good signal but no internet access. I tried to ping the modem from a laptop and it went through successful. I tried resetting the modem and unplugging the modem still no luck. After that I decided to call comcast and they said they could not get a signal from the modem. They said they will send a technitian next week but i am still curios on what could be the issue here? It is an older home and has some questionable wiring. She also has in issues with getting some channels and can not access on-demand and I dont know if it could be related or not. This made me question on whether IT is for me since I could not resolve the issue any input would be appreciated....thanks guys...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 18 April 2015 - 09:29 AM

What is the manufacturer/model number of the modem?

Not being able to receive channels and On Demand will be a separate issue since tv is not tied to the modem.

It sounds like wiring or signal issues.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 18 April 2015 - 09:31 AM.

#3 bookishspider

bookishspider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2015 - 11:01 AM

It is the xfinity modem/router where you can also hook your phone up to also...

#4 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,724 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2015 - 11:52 AM

Open the modems Web page (same address that you were able to ping) and find the section that lists signal levels.  Download signal(s) - you may have as many as 16 - should be between -10 and + 10 dBmV.  Upload levels should be less that 50 dBmV - you may have as many as 4 upload channels.  . 

Derfram
~~~~~~

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 18 April 2015 - 01:00 PM

I still need the modem manufacturer/model.

Check your modem signal levels. Compare to the following.

To view your modem’s status page go to http://192.168.100.1 or http://10.0.0.1

• Downstream Power Level: -10dBmV to +10dBmV is acceptable for modems. -7dBmV to +7dBmV is the ideal range and is also the specified range for telephony modems.

• Downstream Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR): This number should be at least 35dB. Higher is better. Anything less than 35dB and you will probably have slow transfers, dropped connections, etc.

• Upstream Power Level: This should be between 35dBmV and 50dBmV. If your levels are beyond this range, you will likely see frequent disconnects or modem reboots.

• Upstream Signal to Noise Ratio (uSNR): Above 31dB is acceptable. Higher is better. Note: you will need to contact customer support to find out this value as it is not available via the cable modem status page.

• Upstream Receive Power: Ideally this number should fall within the -2dBmV and +2dBmV range. Note: you will need to contact customer support to find out this value as it is not available via the cable modem status page.

• In Channel Frequency Response (ICFR): The ICFR should be no higher than a 2dBmV. Note: you will need to contact customer support to find out this value as it is not available via the cable modem status page.

Note: Not all modems will allow you to view the status page and some will have different URLs to access this info. If you are unable to access your modem’s status page, you can contact Comcast Customer Support and ask the support representative for these values.

Information above is from http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Basic-Internet-Connectivity-And/Connection-Troubleshooting-Tips/td-p/1253575

Make note of what it says so it can be shown to the technician if he wants to see it.
Screenshots of the levels are recommended.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 18 April 2015 - 01:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users