Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Reset my Windows 8.1 Computer to Factory Settings

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Katherine1802

Katherine1802

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 17 April 2015 - 08:04 PM

So I got my Windows 8 computer in 2012, later upgraded it to 8.1. I have had no major problems with it until earlier today. I have Sony Vegas Movie Studio and when I tried uploading a video into it to edit it, my computer started freezing at everything. I looked in my task manager and it was nothing major to the RAM or CPU. I tried restarting it and then upon restarting, it showed a black screen with nothing. I had to restart it 5 times to get it to actually turn on. This post is not about malware issues or freezing though. 

I want to reset my computer to factory settings. So I go to Settings-->Change PC Settings-->Update and Recovery-->Remove Everything and Reinstall Windows. And it gives me this message: "Some files are missing. Your windows installation or recovery media will provide these files." So I looked it up and found this site: http://www.gizmag.com/how-to-windows-8-pc-refresh-reset/32801/

Towards the end of the page it says what to do if you get that message. So I followed the commands and waited until it was 100% completed. Then I was happy and tried resetting it again. I get the same message.

So my question is: How do I reset my computer? And pardon the long post.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 17 April 2015 - 09:17 PM

Hello, and Welcome

The problem is when a person updates 8 to 8.1 through the store, you lose the ability to do a factory reset or refresh.

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1183043-caution-you-may-lose-resetrefresh-if-you-upgrade-to-windows-81/

There is a work-around on the above link.

Another option:

Get the windows key using produkey. The key is embedded in the BIOS of all OEM windows 8 computers. Go here to download the 8.1 media iso and you can install Windows 8.1 or try the workaround in the above link.

Backup any important data first.

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 April 2015 - 09:17 PM.

#3 Katherine1802

Katherine1802
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2015 - 03:43 PM

Thank you, my computer now works. I followed the first step and upgraded to Windows 8.1 Enterprise. However, what happens when the trial of enterprise runs out? I don't want to have to pay for something. Is there a way to downgrade back to Windows 8.1 or Windows 8?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2015 - 04:21 PM

Did you follow the instructions step by step or did you download the iso file, create a boot disk and install Windows Enterprise? You should have mounted the Enterprise iso and only used the install.wim file as outlined in the instructions. If you did the install using the Enterprise iso then you will have to get the key from BIOS using produkey and install the version you had initially using the 8.1 media link I posted.

I would verify the key obtained by produkey using Firmwaretables View. Run it on your computer and look for the firmware table called MSDM. You will see your key in the lower pane as shown in the below image. Compare it to the key found by Produkey. You should use the one in FirmwareTables View.

883x445xFirmwareTablesView.png.pagespeed

#5 Katherine1802

Katherine1802
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2015 - 06:28 PM

So I was in the process of working on your instructions and I had to step away from my computer for a bit.. when I get back, I open my computer lid and I get this message "windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause."

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2015 - 06:44 PM

Is this error from trying to install the Windows 8.1 media I linked to or is this error from your Windows Enterprise install? What is the make and model of the computer?

#7 Katherine1802

Katherine1802
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2015 - 06:51 PM

It is from the enterprise install since I could not get the media to work. My computer is originally a windows 8 Dell inspiron 15z-5523

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2015 - 07:04 PM

If you have a Windows 7 computer, you can still download the 8.1 iso file. For the error, see if doing a startup repair using the Enterprise install disk fixes the problem.  Edit: If a startup or automatic repair does not work try a System Restore. Hopefully Windows created one if you did any updates.

See Booting to Recovery Environment with Windows 8/8.1 installation media or Recovery Drive/System Repair Disc Here

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 April 2015 - 07:09 PM.

#9 lightspeed11

lightspeed11

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 20 April 2015 - 01:25 AM

JohnC_21... you are the man, man. Great help & tips. Very human and kind of u to provide ur time and full concentration on a fellow computer user

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users