Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Router Connectivity Errors + BSOD

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 solego

solego

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 17 April 2015 - 06:14 PM

I have been having router problems.

One afternoon, I noticed that my internet was no longer working. So, I figured all I had to do was restart my modem and router and all would be good. I did it in every conceivable manner, to no avail.

I clicked on the network icon for the computer to troubleshoot itself. I have so far received the error messages that the ethernet cable was not plugged in (it was), the modem/router needed to be restarted (they were), and, ""Local Are Connection" doesn't have a valid IP connection".

Sometimes, when I clicked on the network icon to get it to troubleshoot itself, the BSOD would appear and reboot the system. 

I have scoured the interwebs and have tried many a differing course. 

I learned about the DHCP. So, I tried to go into the router settings while connected to the router. But, I never was able to. I would not connect. I then learned that the default gateway was the address needed, so I looked that up in "ipconfig" to make sure I was entering the correct address. My default gateway was blank..

I got new ethernet cables, to no avail.

I then saw where a bad ac adapter could be the problem. I had a power outage the night before this happened, so I got a new ac adapter. That didn't work either.

As it stands, my ASUS RT-N66R wireless router, even while not connected, has the LED lights on for ports 2 and 3. I have used all the ports in an attempt to fix this. The WAN LED has never been on since this problem began.

When I have my router connected, the flashing LED light for internet on my Motorola SURFboard SB6182 doesn't flash.

So this is where I'm at.

Here is my ipconfig/all when the router was hooked up. Any help at all and I will eternally thankful!

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : GvilleGraphics
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Killer e2200 Gigabit Ethernet Controller
(NDIS 6.30)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 44-8A-5B-84-61-B3
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.203.221(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{B79441A0-5EEC-453E-B081-F3E786D1DF93}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2015 - 10:19 AM

Plug your PC into the modem. At an elevated command prompt*, type ipconfig /release hit enter, then type ipconfig /renew and hit enter. Does it work? If yes, I'd do a hard reset on the router, normally near the power plug there is a recessed reset button, a pen will do to push and hold it for a 10 count. Plug the PC back into the router and do the release/renew thing again. If it shows a valid IP then the router is OK and you can reconnect everything like normal and surf into the router to redo the setup you had. If you don't get a valid IP, the router is bad and it's time to move to a new one.

*Elevated command prompt - click the windows button, type cmd, in the list right click cmd, and click Run as admin.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,233 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2015 - 08:19 AM

The fact that the computer blue screened while you were troubleshooting the network connection may indicate some of the problem is with the computer itself.

Run through these troubleshooting steps to make sure the problem isn't with the computer's TCP/IP configuration. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/169790

You may also want to go into Device Manager, make sure there aren't any issues with your Ethernet NIC, and make sure the drivers are up to date.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users