Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop hdd swap help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 brendon7358

brendon7358

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 17 April 2015 - 01:35 PM

Hi, I bought the venom blackbook 15 (same chassis as clevo p650), and it comes with a 1tb hdd that I would like to replace with a 500gb SSD, any idea how difficult this would be? Or (even better) a guide on how to do it?

Edited by brendon7358, 17 April 2015 - 03:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 671 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 17 April 2015 - 02:47 PM

If the 1TB is less than half full, it's a fairly easy job.

Amazon.com > Apricorn SATA Wire Notebook Hard Drive Upgrade Kit with USB 3.0 Connection ASW-USB3-25 - $21.99

How to: Properly re-align your SSD/HDD partitions

Edited by SpywareDoc, 17 April 2015 - 02:49 PM.

#3 brendon7358

brendon7358
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2015 - 03:23 PM

Guess I should have specified more, the laptop is brand new (I haven't gotten it yet) so the hdd will have nothing on it (the hdd is secondary storage for backup, not the main drive) , and the SSD is from my current desktop. The SSD will be used for backup storage, not for Windows (Windows is on a 256gb M.2 SSD). So it's not really software transfer that's the issue, it's the location of the hdd tray. I'm wondering of anyone knows how to get to it, I couldn't find anything on Google and the support from venom recommended not replacing the hdd so I can't get help from them.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,741 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 19 April 2015 - 07:37 AM

IMO if all you are going to use the SSD for is storage Y waste its benefits, using the SSD for the OS and the other for storage is the seasonable way to go.  It is like a match race between a Volkswagen and a Ferrari with the Ferrari as the loser!

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#5 brendon7358

brendon7358
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2015 - 08:25 AM

IMO if all you are going to use the SSD for is storage Y waste its benefits, using the SSD for the OS and the other for storage is the seasonable way to go.  It is like a match race between a Volkswagen and a Ferrari with the Ferrari as the loser!

I don't think you understand, the OS is on an M.2 SSD which is much faster than a normal (i.e. the one I want to put in) SSD.  I am replacing the HDD (for storage) with an SSD (for storage).  So I have 2 vehicles, a bugatti, and a toyota the OS is on the bugatti, and I want to replace the toyota with a lamborghini.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 19 April 2015 - 05:45 PM

This video might help. I think it is of a Clevo p650, I couldn't find one ot the Venom variety -

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users