Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malwarebytes or Kaspersky or BitDefender or ?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ggianakos

ggianakos

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 17 April 2015 - 12:23 PM

I have been using Malwarebytes for years.  Recently, my computer wouldn't boot up. The technician who worked on it recommended Kaspersky.  I had read that this is created in Russia and comes with Malware.  Is that true?  PC reviews show Kaspersky, BitDefender, Avast and Malwarebytes as top picks (depending on who is reviewing them.

Any suggestions ??? I need to renew or purchase by Sunday.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 17 April 2015 - 12:28 PM

Hello there,

I'm not sure where the rumor of Kaspersky containing malware comes from, but it's nonexistent.

As to answer your question...

There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no single best anti-virus. Every vendor's virus lab and program scanning engine is different. Each has has its own strengths and weaknesses and they often use a mix of technologies to detect and remove malware. In many cases choosing an anti-virus is a matter of personal preference and what works best on a particular system. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your needs. Please read:Here are links to some recent BC discussion topics with opinions from other members:Here are links to polls about this very subject:My personal choice is Emsisoft Anti-Malware as it is lightweight, features both AV & AM protection, has good protection and interface, excellent support. Avast is also good if you want a free solution.

However, the ultimate choice is up to you.

Note: You MUST use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware alongside another AV, as MBAM alone does not provide complete protection against malware.

Regards,
Alex

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2015 - 12:46 PM

Hi ggianakos :)

I'm not sure of where you read that Kaspersky bundles malware, but it's obviously false and you shouldn't believe everything you read on the Internet :wink: I've been a Kaspersky Internet Security user for years and it has always done an excellent job on all my devices and it's one of the top Antivirus company there is, along with other big names like Emsisoft and ESET.

Also, I don't know what kind of review "PC Review" did, but Malwarebytes sure doesn't fit in the same category as Kaspersky, Bitdefender and Avast. The latter are Antivirus companies who offers Antivirus products, while Malwarebytes offers an Antimalware program. Antimalware are meant to complement Antivirus programs, which means they are meant to run alongside existing Antivirus product on a system without conflicting. Sometimes you might need to add exclusions for each other, but it's really rare. So here's the choice is simple: you can already get Malwarebytes, no matter which Antivirus product you get, since it'll be your Antimalware. Or you can take Emsisoft Anti-Malware as well, both are the two top Antimalware at the moment.

So the real question here is: Kaspersky, Bitdefender or any other Antivirus or your choice, it's yours to make. The speech Alex gave you was written from quietman, and it's part of his article on General Security Practices when using a computer. I suggest you to read it and pay attention to it since it'll help you choose the Antivirus that is the best suit for you and your system. On a side note, you can also read quietman's full thread, since it also includes advice on choosing an Antimalware program, Firewall, etc.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/407147/answers-to-common-security-questions-best-practices/

Personally speaking, I can answer questions you have on Kaspersky products. Alex, quietman and Emsisoft employees can answer the ones you have an Emsisoft if needed. quietman can also answer your questions on ESET. I'm saying that because we are all users of these products and have been for quite some time now so we most likely know the answer to the questions you can have about these, just let us know :)

Edited by Aura., 17 April 2015 - 01:03 PM.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,609 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2015 - 04:45 PM

Just because Kaspersky is headquartered in Russia does not mean it comes come with malware. Kaspersky is an excellent product and used by a lot of folks worldwide.

Since you included Malwarebytes together with several anti-virus programs, just to be sure you are aware....

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is not an anti-virus program nor should it be used as a replacement. Malwarebytes does not act as a real-time protection scanner for every file like anti-virus software so it is intended to be a supplement, not a substitute. The following quote is a statement from the Malwarebytes Team.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is not meant to be a replacement for antivirus software. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a complementary but essential program which detects and removes zero-day malware and "Malware in the Wild". This includes malicious programs and files, such as viruses, worms, trojans, rootkits, dialers, spyware, and rogue applications that many antivirus programs do not detect or cannot fully remove. It is important to note that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware works well and should run alongside antivirus software without conflicts. In some rare instances, exclusions may need to be set for your specific antivirus product to achieve the best possible system performance.

Larry Tate
Product Support

A similar statement is in this Malwarebytes HelpDesk Article: Does Malwarebytes Anti-Malware replace antivirus software?

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 SunRise1

SunRise1

• Banned
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 17 April 2015 - 07:30 PM

Kaspersky is clever,Bitdefender agressive and more false positivies.But also heavy one.Scanning all the time backwards I think.Instead Avast ,ESET and Emsisoft are much better.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,609 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2015 - 07:42 PM

All security scanning software are susceptible to glitches, bugs, database issues and false positive detections ffrom time to time. In most cases when these issues occur, the anti-virus vendors and security tool developers take quick action to correct the problem and provide support to those users who have been affected. In fact, most have dedicated subforums for reporting/dealing with such issues.

#7 BananaMustacheDonkey

BananaMustacheDonkey

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2018 - 07:42 PM

Kaspersky is a really great antivirus, Of course, it does not contain malware. It is defintley better than malwarebytes and bitdefender.

Edited by BananaMustacheDonkey, 06 February 2018 - 07:45 PM.

#8 GWTateJr

GWTateJr

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2018 - 04:51 PM

The story I heard that started the rumor about Kaspersky is that a CIA contractor took one of their discs home to do work on his computer, which was protected by Kaspersky. Since the work consisted of using "malware" to hack into other computers, Kaspersky recognized it as such, and sent the programs back to Russia for analysis. Somehow, the Russian government got its hands on the CIA malware in the process. The problem was that the employee should not have used the software at home, and Kaspersky did what it was paid to do--find malware. I think the story is probably accurate, but I don't know this with certainty. Kaspersky moved some of its servers out of Russia, so maybe so.

So what do I run? Kaspersky and MWB in tandem.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,609 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2018 - 06:10 PM

If you choose to use Kaspersky, you still can use Malwarebytes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users