Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Save user settings between mutiple computers?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 zantaff

zantaff

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 17 April 2015 - 11:57 AM

Hi,

At my university, the lab computes are set up to revert to a "default" every time they are shut down (usually 2-3 times a week). This means that every time I use any computer in the lab,  all the settings and changes I've made revert to the lame ones that some university IT guy thought were a good idea.  Essentaly everything saved on the local C: drive gets erased. Network drives act normally.

-Is there some way for me to save my changes and load my settings when I log on to another computer? I'm talking stuff from taskbar and start menu properties to desktop layout, to graphic settings.

-Is there a way I can save the settings I make within programs like Photoshop or internet browsers?

-What about keeping installed programs? For example, the "default" installed java isn't the current version, so it has to be updated after every restart.

Thanks for any tips.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 17 April 2015 - 12:08 PM

Hi zantaff :)

By BleepingComputer Rules, we aren't allowed to help you bypass security measures that are put in place by an organization on a system that you don't own. You are allowed by your school to use the computer, which means that you have to abide by their rules and term of use, and you cannot take any actions in order to change the settings put in place by their IT Department.

I'm sorry but you won't get assistance for that here. I suggest you to read the BleepingComputer Rules and Policies below to know what you can and cannot ask on this forum.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forum-rules/

Have a good day :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 17 April 2015 - 12:15 PM

The specific rule that covers this

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences.

Their rules, which you have to abide by and follow.

As stated so well by Aura, we cannot and will not help you bypass what they have set up.

#4 zantaff

zantaff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2015 - 01:43 PM

The specific rule that covers thisAs stated so well by Aura, we cannot and will not help you bypass what they have set up.

When am I asking to bypass security? Don't go jumping to crazy conclusions!

I'm just asking if there's a way to save settings :/ Some external drive, a file on the network? 
Perhaps a set of files or a dll I have that could run some command?

What about particular programs that must be updated like flash and java? These are a real pain to install every.single.time.

Edited by zantaff, 17 April 2015 - 01:47 PM.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 17 April 2015 - 01:51 PM

I'm just asking if there's a way to save settings :/ Some external drive, a file on the network? 
Perhaps a set of files or a dll I have that could run some command?

You did not meniton that in your first post.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,391 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2015 - 02:48 PM

What you seem to want...is a portable profile, one that can be used on any system and which would reflect desired settings.

From what I see...there are various obstacles.  On any system that is set to revert to a default profile for any user...it seems to me that users would not have admin privileges.  IMO, without admin privileges, it should be impossible to create/effect any change in user profiles on said system.

Louis

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 17 April 2015 - 02:52 PM

I just want you to know that this is a standard procedure. For computers to be "reset" when they are shut down or once a week. It's the same at my school and it's the same at every schools I went to. As for a "solution" to your issue, it would be possible to create a batch file (.bat, .cmd, etc.) that would take the icons saved on your network share (assuming you have one, I have one of like 600Mb for personal use, every students at my school does) and it would move these icons/files in the right places in your local userprofile. It's possible, but I don't think everything could be done via it.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users