Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG 2015 Free - Email issue

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Beaker77

Beaker77

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 17 April 2015 - 11:07 AM

Recently my AVG 2015 Email protection has started checking Emails every 1-2 minutes. It never used to do this.

If I am typing a text on the web or on OE6, this checking stops everything, I lose what i have typed until the check has finished and have to retype it all again. Not acceptable and I have switched Email checking OFF.

I tried an AVG Repair run, but it made no difference.

When typing, i take no notice of the check panel coming up every couple of minutes and it leaves gaps in the text. Unless I visually check my text, it totally wrecks it. In one Email case this omitted the persons christian name, which I never noticed before sending. Consequently it was addressed to his surname only, a complete discourteous mess.

Does anybody know the reason for this ? The AVG Forum is never any use.

Edited by Beaker77, 17 April 2015 - 11:09 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 17 April 2015 - 12:48 PM

Hi Beaker77 :)

Sometimes running a repair doesn't fix the whole program and its behavior. I suggest you to uninstall AVG 2015, and use their uninstaller tool to clean-up the remnants.

https://support.avg.com/supportArticleView?urlname=How-to-uninstall-AVG&l=en_US

Once done, you can download a new installer from their website and reinstall the program. Once it's done, let me know if the Email Protection is still an issue or not.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2015 - 02:48 PM

Hi Beaker77 :)

Sometimes running a repair doesn't fix the whole program and its behavior. I suggest you to uninstall AVG 2015, and use their uninstaller tool to clean-up the remnants.

https://support.avg.com/supportArticleView?urlname=How-to-uninstall-AVG&l=en_US

Once done, you can download a new installer from their website and reinstall the program. Once it's done, let me know if the Email Protection is still an issue or not.

I will do that and let you know. Give me a couple of days.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2015 - 02:49 PM

No problem Beaker, I'll be monitoring this thread :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,119 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2015 - 06:06 PM

Download and save the new AVG installer before removing the current software. There is no need to connect to the Internet without protection.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2015 - 03:48 AM

No problem Beaker, I'll be monitoring this thread :)

Hello Aura,

I must have upset the God`s, yet again.

I downloaded the AVG removal tool and the AVG 2015 Free, closed the Internet, run the removal tool, then run the AVG 2015 installer. It failed on updating. It did this about 8 times and each time the installation failed on updating.

In the end I got really peed off, uninstalled AVG and installed Avast Free.

An AV is necessary, but as I use Sandboxie every time I open my browser for surfing, no problem, an AV is just a reserve package.

I am sad to lose my Email protection, but if I get paranoid about Email threats, I will open OE6 with Sandboxie. I do not use OE6 much, but do use it as a limited personal account and in 12 years have never had a threat picked up. My other Email accounts are on the web and covered by Sandboxie

Perhaps in a couple of months, I will give AVG another try. I have no idea why AVG kept failing. I killed everything that may stop the installation and updates

K2X928Z.gif.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,119 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2015 - 06:32 AM

...I am sad to lose my Email protection, but if I get paranoid about Email threats...

avast Mail Shield checks incoming and outgoing email messages and will stop any messages containing a possible virus infection from being accepted or sent.

The Mail Shield in Avast 2015 uses advanced scanning method for incoming and outgoing e-mails over SSL/TLS secured connections, which works transparently for most mail clients, and therefore it normally does not need any extra adjustments to work with your mail provider. Only those mail clients which have their own certificate store, like Mozilla Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, or The Bat!, need additional configuration. Otherwise, you may get warnings about invalid mail server certificates when you send and receive e-mails.

https://www.avast.com/no-no/faq.php?article=AVKB91

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2015 - 08:09 AM

Yes, you can always open Outlook Express 6 with Sandboxie, just in case. However, what's going to save you from dangerous/malicious emails here is pretty much common sense. Knowing how to recognize phishing emails, the ones with malicious attachments and so on :) In fact, you shouldn't open any emails from senders you don't know, and if you receive a weird email from a known contact, you should ask him first if he sent you it. All this can go a long way to protect you from being infected via emails :)

unite_blue.png

#9 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2015 - 08:54 AM

...I am sad to lose my Email protection, but if I get paranoid about Email threats...

avast Mail Shield checks incoming and outgoing email messages and will stop any messages containing a possible virus infection from being accepted or sent.

The Mail Shield in Avast 2015 uses advanced scanning method for incoming and outgoing e-mails over SSL/TLS secured connections, which works transparently for most mail clients, and therefore it normally does not need any extra adjustments to work with your mail provider. Only those mail clients which have their own certificate store, like Mozilla Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, or The Bat!, need additional configuration. Otherwise, you may get warnings about invalid mail server certificates when you send and receive e-mails.

That`s fantastic QM. Avast is only a few hours old with me and I don`t really know much about it. Just a fluttering animated icon on my tray so far.

Following your post, I sent an Email from Yahoo to OE6, Avast picked it up and gave me a pop-up. I then replied from OE6 to Yahoo and Avast again picked it up with a pop-up. Avast mail protection looks in fine working order on that score, so I have stopped crying about AVG.

Holy Cow QM, there were 320 bits of AVG junk came out on my file search,  even after using their Removing Tool. All of them went to the Recycle Bin. Clean of AVG junk now.

With that little experiment I was impressed and rather like Avast. QM, is Avast any good as a regular AV ? I have been with AVG for a very long time and feel compelled to wear a black armband for 7 days in memoriam.

#10 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2015 - 08:54 AM

That`s fantastic QM. Avast is only a few hours old with me and I don`t really know much about it. Just a fluttering animated icon on my tray so far.

Following your post, I sent an Email from Yahoo to OE6, Avast picked it up and gave me a pop-up. I then replied from OE6 to Yahoo and Avast again picked it up with a pop-up. Avast mail protection looks in fine working order on that score, so I have stopped crying about AVG.

Holy Cow QM, there were 320 bits of AVG junk came out on my file search,  even after using their Removing Tool. All of them went to the Recycle Bin. Clean of AVG junk now.

With that little experiment I was impressed and rather like Avast. QM, is Avast any good as a regular AV ? I have been with AVG for a very long time and feel compelled to wear a black armband for 7 days in memoriam.

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2015 - 08:55 AM

avast! is a really good Antivirus, often recommended and people using it are generally happy with the program as well.

unite_blue.png

#12 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2015 - 09:28 AM

avast! is a really good Antivirus, often recommended and people using it are generally happy with the program as well.

I am feeling really pleased that AVG self-destructed and your comment has even elevated my euphoria to greater heights.

Avast seems a lot simpler and user friendly than AVG, which occupied a megalodon of junk on the computer and was somewhat cumbersome to use.

Yes Aura, I think I`ll have another glass of wine to celebrate a new era. 

Thank you so much for your help and also of course QM, who never fails to provide people with useful information on almost any problem.

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2015 - 09:33 AM

AVG is known to bundle a lot of useless programs like AVG PC TuneUp and Web TuneUp which don't do anything other than taking space and resources, and could also damage your system at one point. And no problem, our pleasure :)

unite_blue.png

#14 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2015 - 09:47 AM

AVG is known to bundle a lot of useless programs like AVG PC TuneUp and Web TuneUp which don't do anything other than taking space and resources, and could also damage your system at one point. And no problem, our pleasure :)

Thanks - Happy days are here again and my PC is now clear again.

AVG used to update twice each day. It took about 7 minutes and drained my resources such that I could not do a thing until it had finished. I don`t think Avast will do that.

Does Avast update automatically or do I have to do it manually ?

Edited by Beaker77, 18 April 2015 - 11:49 AM.

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,119 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2015 - 03:40 PM

Does Avast update automatically or do I have to do it manually ?

By default it is set to update automatically every day. You can also open the main GUI or click-on the systray icon and manually update any time you want.

And if you ever have a problem you can also manually download the virus definitions (avast VPS) from here. This is useful if malware disables your Internet...the definitions can be downloaded from another computer, saved to a usb drive and transferred to the infected machine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users