Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7, unable to browse but can ping

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 hypotenuse

hypotenuse

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 17 April 2015 - 09:31 AM

Hello.

In an attempt to solve, rather than rebuild this computer I have joined your wonderful website.

Firstly I must explain that I have followed similar threads on your site and acted on their advice before joining you and reading your pinned New Member threads.   Hence I have tried to use some of the tools already mentioned including ComboFix (which wouldn't run).  Please excuse my leaping into hot oil before looking.

With that in mind can I explain what is going on with this laptop and what has been done so far.

It is a Dell Inspiron N5110 running Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1.  4.00Gb RAM.  It had been protected using Microsoft Security Essentials which has been uninstalled at some point whilst investigating this problem.

I was initially asked to investigate why the machine had stopped browsing the internet, saying that it was 'Unable to connect'.  Opening a command prompt I could see that it was connected to the wireless network and had IP addresses etc.  It could also successfully ping www.google.com, ibm.com, bbc.co.uk etc.

I connected to the router using a LAN cable just in case it was a wireless driver issue.  Still unable to browse but can ping.

Ran iexplore -extoff  from a command prompt to turn off the extensions.  Still unable to browse.

Downloaded the Firefox 37.0.1 installer using another computer, copied it using a USB key and installed it.  Still unable to browse.

Downloaded ADWCleaner,  copied it over and installed it.  it was unable to access the update server.  Ran a scan and cleaned all the malware it found.  Still unable to browse.

Downloaded MalwareBytes installer mbam-setup-2.1.4.1018, copied it over, installed and launched it.  It was unable to access the update server.  Ran a scan, which found more malware but still unable to browse afterwards.

Interestingly subsequent relaunches of MalwareBytes fail.  It asks for System run permissions, then doesn't show the GUI interface.  Though the process is running in the background.

Browsed this site and looked for similar problems, following several suggestions including gmer, tdsskiller, mbar and Combofix which didn't appear to run.  The system is still unable to browse.

Took the hard drive out.  This laptop has to be fully disassembled to do this!!!  (Dell! I ask you?)  Then ran a scan using the latest ESET Smart Security.  This took 9 hours and found 243 infections, 236 of which it automatically cleaned.  I haven't yet fully investigated the log to identify what wasn't cleaned.

Rebuilt the machine and it still won't browse.

Contacted you.  Whilst writing this I have just re-installed Malwarebytes and ran a scan.  It has detected another 45 objects.

I would really appreciate a bit of guidance as I would rather not have to rebuild the machine, in the interests of getting to the bottom of it.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 17 April 2015 - 08:03 PM

Welcome aboard p22002758.gif

Please follow the instructions in THIS GUIDE starting at Step 6. If you cannot complete a step, skip it and continue.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it HERE. Please include a description of your computer issues, what you have done to resolve them, and a link to this topic.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

It would be helpful if you post a note here once you have completed the steps in the guide and have started your topic in malware removal. Good luck and be patient.

If HelpBot replies to your topic, PLEASE follow Step One so it will report your topic to the team members.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users