Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ESET NOD32 Antivirus

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 the geekfreak

the geekfreak

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 17 April 2015 - 06:35 AM

Am looking for a paid Anti malware / Anti virus software and have narrowed it down to this one , Anyone use it  ? Anything better  ?

Thanks 

Dan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 17 April 2015 - 06:44 AM

Hi the geekfreak :)

ESET have excellent products so yes, ESET Nod32 Antivirus is a really good choice. Another popular Antivirus/Antimalware product (2 in 1) is Emsisoft Anti-Malware or Emsisoft Internet Security. Both ESET and Emsisoft are strong on PUPs detections as well, which becomes more and more frequent now a day and you might end up with PUP more often than malware, so having Emsisoft or ESET installed on your system will help a lot. You could even install the free version of Emsisoft Anti-Malware as a on-demand scanner if you end up going with ESET Nod32.

quietman wrote a really good article on choosing an Antivirus product that is suit for you and your system, I suggest you to give it a read to make sure that you make an enlighten solution when will come the choice to choose the Antivirus you want to use :)

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/407147/answers-to-common-security-questions-best-practices/#entry2316629

We also have Emsisoft Staff members on BleepingComputer that can answer your questions on their products if you need, simply ask :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 17 April 2015 - 07:05 AM

Just to clarify Aura's statement, Emsisoft Internet Security also incorporates a custom-made firewall in addition to AV & AM capabilities. If you are just a basic user without any special needs then Emsisoft Anti-Malware is enough.

Both ESET and Emsisoft offer a trial for their products, so you can install ESET NOD32 and Emsisoft Anti-Malware (you can install them both at the same time) to see how you like them, then take your pick.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,485 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2015 - 07:25 AM

I use ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus and Emsisoft Anti-Malware on each of my two Windows 7 machines. They leave a small footprint...meaning they are not intrusive and do not utilize a lot of system resources.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 the geekfreak

the geekfreak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 17 April 2015 - 09:28 AM

From doing more research in this matter i believe "Webroot Antispyware" is a better product than the others mentioned . 

So might go for that instead .

Thoughts 

#6 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 17 April 2015 - 09:35 AM

Webroot SecureAnywhere, you mean.

IMO WSA has the advantage of being lightweight and offers some useful functionalities.

However it relies a great deal on the cloud, which means if Internet connection is cut off then WSA is essentially useless. Its AM capabilities is also not on par with Emsisoft or ESET, and I believe that there isn't anything Webroot can do that ESET or Emsisoft cannot do (and might even do better!)

If you like a lightweight AV with a lot of functionalities then go for WSA. Emsisoft or ESET is better if you like to keep things simple :)

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2015 - 10:03 AM

If you compare products against products, ESET and Emsisoft technologies, detection ratios and features are way more advanced than Webroot Security Anywhere. To bo honest, WSA is something I would install on low end spec machines like thin clients, not full fledged computers used by everyday users.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,485 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2015 - 11:17 AM

Webroot SecureAnywhere is not what I prefer but I see nothing wrong with using it if that is your decision.

#9 SunRise1

SunRise1

• Banned
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 17 April 2015 - 07:47 PM

From doing more research in this matter i believe "Webroot Antispyware" is a better product than the others mentioned . 

So might go for that instead .

Thoughts 

I don`t think so! Companies that had antispyware program and turn it to antivirus, like Webroot ,Ad-Aware and Vipre!Definitely NO!

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,485 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2015 - 08:05 PM

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. However,I do not agree with that in regards to Webroot.

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2015 - 09:02 PM

I forgot to ask you geek:

What did you search exactly to come to that result? What did you look into? What websites, reviews, etc. did you check?

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users