Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Switch

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cowboy36

cowboy36

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 16 April 2015 - 10:31 PM

i have cable internet and a modem with one output

my modem and router is in my computer room now i would like to move the router into my sons room by useing a switch like this Modem>Switch >Router and then run my computer straight from the Switch 

will this work

this is the router i have now- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0AT11G5511&cm_re=netgear_wndr3800-_-9SIA0AT11G5511-_-Product

this is the switch i want to use- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704173

Edited by cowboy36, 16 April 2015 - 10:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 16 April 2015 - 11:07 PM

What does DHCP? If it's the modem, then yup it works. If not the router needs to come before the switch.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 cowboy36

cowboy36
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2015 - 11:22 PM

ok  what is DHCP

ok i think i got it but the modem puts out 1 ip address and then the router does the rest and the ip address is dynamic that comes from modem

Edited by cowboy36, 16 April 2015 - 11:25 PM.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2015 - 11:12 AM

DHCP= Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol. In short it assigns you an IP address, subnet mask, default gateway, and DNS address. Your router appears to be performing this task. You will need to connect the switch in your sons room to the router then your computer to the switch. Your router should have a free switch port unless they are all being used. You could simply connect your computer to this port then leave out the switch. 

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 cowboy36

cowboy36
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2015 - 06:10 PM

ok thanks Sneaky