Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flash Drive Question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ryrhino

ryrhino

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 16 April 2015 - 09:10 PM

When I try to copy this photo from pc hard drive to flash drive I got this pop up. I do not know what this pop up means.  Please tell me how to fix this issue.  If I need to reformat the flash drive does that delete everything that is currenlty on it?  When checking the properties of the flash drive it is not showing as full.  Windows 8.1 64 bit. Thanks for your time and help.

Attached File  Capture.PNG   21.75KB   1 downloads

Attached File  Capture2.PNG   11.26KB   1 downloads

When I try to create a new folder on the flash drive this pop up showed

Attached File  Capture3.PNG   7.19KB   1 downloads

Edited by ryrhino, 16 April 2015 - 09:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 16 April 2015 - 10:13 PM

I don’t recall the limits anymore but if I remember correctly FAT flash drives hold a limited number of items.

Either create a folder on the flash drive and see if the JPEG image can be saved in that folder

or try to save the JPEG image into a folder already on the flash drive

It shouldn’t be necessary to convert to NTFS; in fact I don’t think its advisable

#3 malynensi

malynensi

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 17 April 2015 - 05:18 AM

Well your drive is in FAT , maybe you should convert it in NTFS.

#4 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2015 - 06:09 AM

Maybe I'll learn something new but I haven't seen a 2GB flash drive formatted as NTFS yet

But if you decide to format your flash drive to NTFS, please save your data

Unless there is something I don't know about, you will lose your data

Please let us know how it turns out

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,653 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2015 - 07:55 AM

The maximum number of files on the root of a drive with FAT is 512 and can be less if there are long file names.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc940351.aspx

FAT32 allows the root directory to grow (FAT16 holds a maximum of 512 entries, and the limit can be even lower due to the use of long file names in the root folder).

As cmptrgy mentioned, backup your data off the drive and for a 2GB drive formatting it to FAT32 will be fine.

Edit: Do you know if this flash drive was formatted after purchase as all flash drives that size are formatted FAT32 from the factory.

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 April 2015 - 07:57 AM.

#6 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2015 - 11:09 AM

It appears to me not being able to create a new folder verifies the flash drive has reached its limits so my idea doesn't apply

John's find is very interesting: Do you suspect the 512 max entries and/or long file names apply?

NOTE: Whatever you do, please save your data immediately

Consider purchasing a higher than 2 GB FAT32 flash drive

--- Since you are trying to save a JPEG to your flash drive that probably means you will be saving more in the future

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,653 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2015 - 11:41 AM

As cmptrgy posted, you should really have a larger drive. If any of your files go over 4GB each then you would need to format the drive as NTFS.

If you live near a Staples Office Supply, they have 16GB flash drives on sale for $8. I was able to purchase a 32GB on clearance for $8. It is now $10. I have not had any trouble with it but you should always have your critical data backed up to two places minimum with one offsite if available. You would need to create an online account and have it shipped to store for pickup to avoid shipping.

#8 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 17 April 2015 - 12:01 PM

16 gig and 32 gig drives are real cheap nowadays, you should consider getting a larger drive.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users