Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No output to headphones - even though sound manager shows an output

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Chrimon

Chrimon

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 16 April 2015 - 09:06 PM

Hello! Just as a disclaimer this is the first time that I've used this cite, so I apologize in advance for any informalities, or just overall dimwittedness. So for starters, I am not a technologically illiterate person, having been a computer user for the majority of my life. My current set up is the Levovo Y50 gaming laptop, (i'll include the specs below) which is running windows 8.1. So let me explain the situation to you; I have an hdmi output to my monitor, which is being used to transmit audio and video to my external speakers, which are connected to the aux imput on my monitor. So essentially, i never both the intergrated speakers and touchscreen display on the laptop itself, rather I use the audio output to my speakers and the video output to my monitor. However, occasionally, when I hop on skype or use spotify, I feel the need to use my PC headphones, which are the razer kracken headset, which has an integrated microphone, and therefore is connected to one sole port on the laptop itself. Basically, when I choose to use the headphones as an audio output, I go to the playback devices under sound management, and change the default communications and default device to the newly-plugged in headphones, which is listed under the playback devices as the standard "SPEAKERS - REALTEK HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO DEVICE" which, I presume is the output for the laptop itself. Previously, upon changing these options, the audio would then come out of the headphones, as opposed to the speakers. However, in an attempt to clean my monitor today, I merely unplugged the hdmi, ac power cord, and aux cord from the back of my monitor, cleaned the device, and plugged everything back into the monitor, same as before. Now however, when I repeat the same steps listed above, changing the sound options to the different default communications device and default device, the playback devices lists the "SPEAKERS - REALTEK HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO DEVICE" as having a playback, as indicated by the green volume bar differntiating itself, however the sound does not come out in neither the speakers on the laptop itself, the headphones, or the external speakers connected to the monitor. However, when changing the playback device back to the alternative option, the one used for output to my external speakers, the output works just fine. I'm well aware that the issue is not my headphones, they're still relatively new (1-2 months old), and I have also tested this with two other headphones just to make sure. Additionally, I have researched alternative fixes to the problem, such as going to computer management->services and applications->services->windows audio, which seems to be the most frequently suggested course of action, however this method of stopping, starting, and resetting the feature has still resulted in no change. All of my computers drives are still up to date, as I performed a recent windows update (not before the issue arose however, so that is likely not the issue), and I have not downloaded any malicious programs on this computer. If there was something that I missed that may be important in further explaining my problem, feel free to let me know, so that I might further elaborate and potentially help to find a resolution! Thank everyone so much in advance, as this is an issue which I would severely prefer to have roll over!

Lenovo Y50's Specs (although likely irrelevant to this discussion):

Intel i7 CPU 4720HQ at 2.6GHz
GeForce GTX 860M GPU
8GB RAM
Windows 8.1 OS
1TB HDD (Internal)
25GB SSD (Internal)

ATTACHED PERIPHERALS:
Corsair K65 RGB Keyboard (Two USB connections)
USB four-way splitter (One USB connection)
Xbox 360 Wireless Controller adapter (One USB connection)
Razer Tiapan Wired mouse (One USB connection)
Dell S2440L 24" Monitor w/ HDMI, VGA, AUX, and AC outputs
Logitech Z100 twin computer speakers (connected to the aux input on the monitor)
HDMI splitter which is attached to the monitor (I use my monitor for my PS4, PS3, my Y50, and other irrelevant things)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 16 April 2015 - 10:23 PM

Welcome,

My speed in W8 is much less than my speed in W7 but I'm wondering what would happen if you were to do a cold boot with everything plugged in. In the past the system does an inventory of connected devices when it boots. Sometimes on a warm boot it reads the cached inventory. Maybe . . . .

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 Chrimon

Chrimon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 16 April 2015 - 10:33 PM

I feel like an idiot for not trying that initially. Everything's working just fine now, thanks for the help! In future I guess that I'll try the most BASIC step first! :P

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 17 April 2015 - 09:38 AM

Glad to hear that all is working well

We'll be here when you need us. Til then

Stay well and surf safe

Dick