Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Visiting website to view news story and video ads also play at same time!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 donatello

donatello

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 16 April 2015 - 07:51 PM

With Mozilla Firefox, I frequent various reputable websites for news and usually it will have a video that I want to watch. Seems like within the past month, video ads that are located on side of the page that I NEVER CLICK ON OR HOVER MY CURSER over, will start playing at the same time. I have to pause my news story to scroll up and or down to find the ad that is playing. Sometime there is not a pause/stop button on those ads.  Would a pop-up blocker work or something else.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2015 - 08:57 PM

The Adblock Plus Extension should take care of the video ads. To get rid of all ads open Extensions under Tools >  Add-ons > Extensions. Go to adblock options , click the Filter Preferences button and uncheck the "allow some non-intrusive Advertising" box.  Also for Filter preferences make sure Easylist and Adblock Warning Removal list are checked. Click the add filter subscrption button and add the EasyPrivacy List, making sure you check it's box to activate it.

https://adblockplus.org/

#3 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 17 April 2015 - 04:24 AM

A couple of days ago, it was announced that AdBlock users should switch to UBlock as AdBlock will not be updated as of June.

https://chrismatic.io/ublock/

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2015 - 07:40 AM

That only affects Adblock Edge.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/573072/adblock-edge-to-be-discontinued-in-june-2015/

#5 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 17 April 2015 - 11:32 AM

You might also consider NoScript, I use it as well as adblockplus to put more barriers between me and adverts (any of which might be malvertising). Another useful thing to do is to make sure that none of your plugins are turned to "always activate" instead have those you sometimes use on "ask to activate" (in chrome this is called "click to play" ) and all the rest fully turned off. I am surprised this has only been happening to you for the last month, it is a practise which has been going on for years, automatically playing flash adverts have been around for quite a while. Extra note: when you deactivate your plugins, run an ad blocker, run a script blocker or a combination of all 3 notice how much faster your browser loads pages when it doesn't have to load so much junk in the corners.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#6 donatello

donatello
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2015 - 05:08 PM

Thanks all, I REALLY appreciate the help. It's been driving me nuts ! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users