Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Running a transacted installation Command Prompt Window?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MML

MML

• Members
  • 241 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 16 April 2015 - 06:40 PM

Hi, I just received a sudden command prompt window while browsing online.  The only text I caught while it was up was  'running a transacted installation' (I was on a youtube video that I've watched more than once, so I'm fairly sure that it wasn't infected ).  As soon as it blipped away my HP Support assistant popped up and ran a scan - is it just a simple message connected with the HP Support Assistant or is it something more I should be worried about?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,190 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2015 - 07:01 PM

Hi MML :)

HP Support Assistant is known to have command line prompts when it's working in the background in order to initiate a scan or action. I personally have a HP Pavilion G6 series laptop with HP Support Assistance installed, and I've seen it happens many times in the last 3 years, so there's nothing to worry about if you ask me :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 MML

MML
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2015 - 07:16 PM

Phew, okay - it's never done that when it's initiated an autoscan before so it kinda freaked me out!   Just wanted to triple check that it was part of HP's bundle and not some random infection.  Thank you!

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,190 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2015 - 07:18 PM

No problem MML :) You can disable HP Support Assistant if you want and launch it manually when needed. On my laptop I left it enabled since it doesn't really affect my resources usage. Up to you!

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users