Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unknown Adware

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Murasame

Murasame

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 02 July 2006 - 10:28 AM

Hi everyone, I've been infected by this adware which I do not know the name but I'll describe the characteristics of this adware. I need help in removing it.

I believed I had gotten this adware from a program I downloaded which monitors the security status on the computer. When I realised this program is having problems with the XP2 firewall, I uninstalled it and this adware is surfaces.

Description:
When I ran spybot, it's probably unable to detect the adware. So I tried Ad-aware and tried to remove it. When I quarantined it, I couldn't launch my internet explorer because whenever I launch it, it will give a error message saying it has encountered an error. With no choice, I had to restore it. It didnt work as well and I was forced to carry out system restore.

When I went through the details, it stated it has to do with internet.exe therefore I suspected that the adware has modified or incorperated into the exe so that whenever I launch the explorer I'll launch the adware as well. The advertisement will appear whenever I first launch the explorer and appear time to time stating that I should install some programs which will protect my pivracy blah blah.

Problem:
Now, I'll encounter error messages stating that the explorer has to be closed due to error encountered from time to time which is irritating. The problem is always the same. The main problem is I can't access my school mailbox because it requires Java to run. Whenever I try to access it there will be error and I'll be forced to close the explorer.

If there's a need I'll post the scan logs by ad-aware. I have to state I do not know where the adware lies and only suspecting it has incorperated into the internet.exe. I need guidance on this and thanks for any help rendered!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 02 July 2006 - 02:42 PM

I would suggest posting a HijackThis! log in the appropriate forum prefaced by a copy of this post as explanation, since this seems to be a tricky situation that requires some expert help. Instuctions for log posting can be found here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users