Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safe to delete AdwCleaner folder?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Zethian

Zethian

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 16 April 2015 - 04:02 PM

There is an AdwCleaner folder (with numerous sub-folders) in my directory, it is over 180MB in total (almost 5,000 files). I want to delete it to free up space on my laptop but with it being so large I want to know if it is safe for me to remove this folder. The log within is huge and I can't feasibly read through it, I just want some reassurance that it's not going to remove any files not specifically in this folder when it goes (I'm very new to this type of software, I'm aware there's a quarantine folder and I'm fine with anything stored in that directory being removed, so long as it doesn't also pull anything from other folders, such as Documents). 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 16 April 2015 - 04:12 PM

Hi Zethian :)

It's totally safe to delete the AdwCleaner folder. AdwCleaner uses this folder to store the files and folders it deletes and also it store it's logs. Deleting it will remove the malicious entries it detected and removed and also the logs it produced. It's suggested to use the Uninstall option in AdwCleaner to properly remove that folder. Download and execute AdwCleaner and instead of clicking on Scan, click on Uninstall. This will delete the AdwCleaner folder and the application :)

9DgJtwd.png

Edited by Aura., 16 April 2015 - 04:16 PM.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 16 April 2015 - 04:19 PM

How many times have you run AdwCleaner ?

Did you look at the log AdwCleaner produced each time you ran it ?

That is a huge file size.....are you sure it is 180 MB  ??

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#4 Zethian

Zethian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2015 - 04:30 PM

I used it over a year ago, and only once. It was used when my laptop became infected with a very nasty virus which clogged everything with spam and other programs (even required a system restore to the previous year as it had been sitting undetected for some time). I had no idea that AdwCleaner had racked up this much in my memory, which I suppose can only say it really did its job combating the damage done to my machine. I only realised just how much space the folder was taking up today when searching for what was taking up unnecessary space.

I only asked about deleting the folder outright since the .exe file is nowhere to be found, I'll probably download it again and uninstall then, hopefully it'll take the remaining directory with it.

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2015 - 04:32 PM

Downloading AdwCleaner and using the Uninstall option will remove the AdwCleaner folder, assuming it's located at the root of the C: drive (C:\AdwCleaner), where AdwCleaner creates it :)

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 Zethian

Zethian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2015 - 04:36 PM

Also yes, it really was 180+ MB

tumblr_nmx5a2oVYL1qkt9eto1_400.jpg

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2015 - 04:45 PM

Use ERUNT to backup your registry first

And create a fresh restore point as well.

Do you have a backup of your documents, O/s etc ?

What operating system are you using ?

This is your call of course....I prefer to be as safe as possible....rather than sorry after the fact.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2015 - 04:47 PM

There's no point in backing up a Registry when deleting leftovers from a year ago. If using AdwCleaner REALLY did mess up the Registry, he would have noticed it by then. Also, deleting these files will not affect the Registry in any way :)

Edited by Aura., 16 April 2015 - 04:47 PM.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#9 Zethian

Zethian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2015 - 04:53 PM

AdwCleaner uninstalled, directory is gone, haven't seen any issues. Thanks guys

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2015 - 04:54 PM

No problem Zethian, our pleasure :) Remember to use that option in the future if you are to use AdwCleaner again when you are done with it and its logs, this way it'll ensure that you won't find 180Mb+ surprise folders a year later! :wink:

Edited by Aura., 16 April 2015 - 04:54 PM.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#11 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2015 - 04:54 PM

Always a pleasure.

Keep an eye open !

GcnI1aH.jpg

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,097 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2015 - 06:44 PM

AdwCleaner is frequently updated so always make sure you are using the most current version. There have been numerous changes since you ran it a year ago.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users