Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wiping Hardrive Clean

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CommMajor101

CommMajor101

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 02 July 2006 - 09:59 AM

Hi everyone,
I have a dead Dell laptop (I can't even boot the darn thing) that I want to donate, but all my information is still on the hardrive. How do I remove and wipe clean the hardrive? Also, anyone have any good suggestions for a company or charity to donate to? The universities around here don't seem to have anything like that. Thanks for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 03 July 2006 - 12:37 AM

You will need to install the hdd into a working computer in order to run a program such as Wipe Drive.

As for donating the laptop, have you tried your local high school or JC for their computer classes?

Just out of curiousity, what happened to the laptop?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2006 - 12:54 PM

If it is a seagate hard drive try this: http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/faq...llfmt_what.html

Here is the best alternative:

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

#4 CommMajor101

CommMajor101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2006 - 03:39 PM

DC3 - The fan that cools off the computer broke w/o me knowing it, so the computer fried itself. I was really mad!

What's a JC? And the local high schools don't have computer repair classes, although they should, b/c that's a lucrative business!! Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

Yano - I haven't had a chance yet to look at that link, but my laptop is a Dell. I'll let you know if the link is any help. Thanks for posting it.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 03 July 2006 - 09:26 PM

DC3 - The fan that cools off the computer broke w/o me knowing it, so the computer fried itself. I was really mad!

What's a JC? And the local high schools don't have computer repair classes, although they should, b/c that's a lucrative business!! Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

Yano - I haven't had a chance yet to look at that link, but my laptop is a Dell. I'll let you know if the link is any help. Thanks for posting it.

JC is Junior or Community College.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users