Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pros and Cons of Driver Booster 2 ?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 keronkkumar

keronkkumar

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 16 April 2015 - 11:02 AM

What are the Pros & Cons of Driver Booster 2 ?

Is it safe to be used by a somewhat computer illiterate person , if safe at all ?

Is it reliable ?

Is there any known problems to it or but use of it ?

Would you use it ? If not , then why and what is your best alternative ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,594 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2015 - 11:04 AM

You shouldn't use any "Driver Updater" programs. These kind of programs are completely useless on top of being harmful. If you need to download drivers for a device, download them straight from that computer manufacturer website or the device manufacturer website. This will ensure that you have legitimate and working drivers.
  • Drivers are "middlemen" between your OS (Windows) and your hardware (computer). They control and facilitate the interaction between Windows and hardware components, to deliver a "message", nothing more;
  • Having all of your drivers up to date, all the time, will not improve the performance of your system, nor your computer. You cannot increase the hardware performance of a component over the current capabilities it have;
  • Driver updates are released to fix a bug or an issue with a previous release of that driver. Not everyone with the same drivers will experience the issue, so if you are having no problems with the drivers you are running, you don't need to update them. "If it's not broken, don't fix it";
  • You can download drivers for free from your computer/laptop manufacturers website, or from the hardware component manufacturers website. You don't need to pay for any of them, if you are being asked to pay for drivers it is likely a scam;
  • Only drivers from the computer/laptop manufacturers website, or the hardware component manufacturers website are considered official (legitimate and working). You should not download drivers from anywhere else;
  • Driver Updaters are a scam, they try to convince you that you need these programs in order to make your system perform well, which is false;
  • It has been tested and proven that these programs will detect outdated drivers on a system that have the most updated drivers from the manufacturer, which shows that they don't work and/or they try to make you install "newer" suspicious drivers;
  • The goal of the distributors of such programs is to make money by making you buy their useless product, or install additional software (PUPs) when you install their program. Your system will perform worse with these programs installed than without;
This being said, such programs could be seen as "pure scam" and should be avoided at all cost.

Here's some articles that talks about Driver Updater programs and why they shouldn't be used:

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2015 - 05:56 PM

Personally I wouldn't touch anything from IOBit with a 100 foot barge pole. That being said, IOBit is not a computer manufacturer, they are a third-party software vendor. Where does it get "updated" drivers from? Does the program get the drivers from the manufacturer itself without any modifications ? Why would one even consider using a third-party program? I wouldn't download drivers from any place other than the manufacturer of the device in question.

My general rule of thumb concerning drivers is "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

#4 keronkkumar

keronkkumar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2015 - 11:13 AM

thank you guys .

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,594 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2015 - 11:15 AM

No problem keron, our pleasure :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 keronkkumar

keronkkumar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2015 - 11:19 AM

si is it safe to just uninstall it ?

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,594 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2015 - 11:23 AM

It's safer to uninstall it than to keep it, yes. I would uninstall it as soon as you can and stop using such programs :)

unite_blue.png

#8 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 964 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 17 April 2015 - 07:50 PM

si is it safe to just uninstall it ?

It's safer to uninstall it than to keep it, yes. I would uninstall it as soon as you can and stop using such programs :)

Check as a web search for any notes about other processes to do for completely uninstalling and removing.  You might also find an extra item in the programs listing of Control Panel showing some other installed stuff associated with the program you intend to remove, which also you may want to uninstall.   ( I remember a few weeks ago, removing Driver Manager and found something else included when I looked in Control Panel).

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,594 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2015 - 07:55 PM

You mean, IObit products? Yes, they usually bundle one of their program with other of theirs. Apply a filter on the manufacturer name, and uninstall every single IObit software you have, they aren't worth using.

unite_blue.png

#10 DrkKnight

DrkKnight

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 27 April 2015 - 08:19 AM

Hi everyone, I have been a long time Bleeping Computer surfer, never had signed up in the forums until I read this post and I just had to throw my hat into the ring.

As far as driver update software goes, yes I would tell you to stay away from the majority of them as MOST of them will try to get you to download and install drivers from less than savvy sources.

I have never really been a big fan of Iobit myself but I heard good things about Driver Booster so decided to give it a run just to see for myself and I really have to say that I was impressed. Yes on the initial installation it will throw an option at you to install Advanced System Care at you but you have the option of un-ticking it and not installing it.

Every single driver I have updated with the program has come straight from the source and never once has a driver come from anywhere else during the time I have used this software, which is almost a year now. So the old adage that "driver download software will destroy your system" really does not apply here, I've been using it almost a year now and my system runs as slick and smooth as the first day I bought it and have yet to do any type of restore, roll back or anything else of the matter from a bad driver download.

So for all you "do it your selfers" who would rather surf twenty five boring manufacture sites searching for your driver in a mountain of drivers can keep on keeping on, Driver Booster makes it fast and painless. If any one of you are brave enough to download and test it and can prove that your drivers are coming from anywhere but the source .... I would be glad to see it.

My advice is, as with anything else, when using software such as this, exercise common sense and WATCH were your drivers are coming from, if it isn't straight from the source don't download it.
For the noob, I would definitely suggest Driver Booster, it makes finding drivers a no brainer, if your comfortable using it fine, if not that is fine too.
Are updating your drivers going to make your system faster .... no, but the rule of thumb is that keeping your drivers up to date is just good house keeping and will result in less problems, or, on the other hand you can go with the old "if it aint broke don't fix it" adage.

Are you going to get a bad driver every now and then? more than likely, I've gotten bad drivers straight from manufacturer's and Windows Update, it happens, and for all you IT guys throwing up the sign of the cross in the horror of reading this, tell me you haven't downloaded a bad driver straight from the source? If you tell me you never have and I'll tell you I got some premium swamp land for sale cheap too.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't knock it until you've tried it, this isn't the dawn of the internet or even ten years ago when every single driver update software was downloading from wherever it could find a driver that was even "similar" to the one you have or from less than desirable places.

Edited by DrkKnight, 27 April 2015 - 08:32 AM.

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,594 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 08:23 AM

Are you going to get a bad driver every now and then? more than likely, I've gotten bad drivers straight from manufacturer's and Windows Update

"More than likely". Already a good reason to not use Driver Updater programs. Also, never get your drivers for Windows Updates, this is "common sense" like you say. You should always get your drivers from the manufacturer website unless the device doesn't have support anymore, than you'll have to get them from the Windows Updates. It's the case with older Intel graphic chipset, where you have to use WDDM drivers downloaded via Windows Updates.

tell me you haven't downloaded a bad driver straight from the source?

Never, because I know what I'm doing. Common sense like you say.

no, but the rule of thumb is that keeping your drivers up to date is just good house keeping and will result in less problems, or, on the other hand you can go with the old "if it aint broke don't fix it" adage.

Read my post here.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/573426/pros-and-cons-of-driver-booster-2/#entry3682584

So for all you "do it your selfers" who would rather surf twenty five boring manufacture sites searching for your driver in a mountain of drivers can keep on keeping on,

You just have to go on the website of the computer/laptop manufacturer, not "25 boring manufacturers website". If you do that, it means that you're not looking for drivers properly.

Edited by Aura., 27 April 2015 - 08:24 AM.

unite_blue.png

#12 DrkKnight

DrkKnight

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 08:49 AM

Oooh, that was fast. Nothing like an IT guy condemning software he hasn't even tried or tested and knows nothing about.

Oh I'm sorry, yes you are correct, your system drivers would come from your pc or laptop manufacturers site, but your external or custom hardware drivers would come from those manufacturer sites which BTW, Driver Booster finds also. Excuse me for being tired after working a twelve hour overnight shift.

Not going to argue the point(s) with you, you seem to have the pulse on the matter and are content to condemn a piece of software you have not even tested or tried, your just all too happy to lump it in with all the others.

I threw my two cents in for what it's worth, take my word for it or don't. Doesn't really matter much to me.

BTW ..... simply installing the program just to check it out will not do a single thing to your system .......

Why don't you try it before you condemn it? run it sandboxed or in a VM if that makes you happier? maybe it'll make your heart palpitate a little less.

One thing I've learned about IT guys is that they will always take the longer and harder way around things and what started out as being wrong will always be wrong no matter what strides have been taken to correct or make things better. 

Bottom line is that it works and when it is all said and done my system will scan just as clean as yours with whatever antivirus you choose to use and will run just as smooth as yours, I just get my drivers downloaded and installed faster than you.

Virustotal link: https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/10e70f8b357bb3fb3f4e3567457d2f40a107fd65536a670a58b398448a8a2ec4/analysis/

It's safe to say that a 2/56 rating is a false positive. :wink:

I have to say, over the years I have gotten a lot of good information and tips here a Bleeping Computer but for someone to generalize a piece of software that they haven't tried or tested solely on past experiences with other "like" software or on their beliefs to me is just bogus. I would have appreciated a negative response from someone who has actually used the software more.

Edited by DrkKnight, 27 April 2015 - 09:50 AM.
language edit

#13 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 27 April 2015 - 09:08 AM

Each of you is entitled to your opinion and you have the right to express those opinions.

There is nothing to be gained by continuing to "debate" the use of such programs.

The OP has had his/her questions answered and has made up his/her mind to uninstall Driver Booster.

As a reminder, keep it civil and refrain from attacking and flaming.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 27 April 2015 - 09:12 AM.

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,594 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 09:33 AM

I'm just going to ask you one thing: why do you assume that I never tried the program, nor have experience with it? I did try it in the past, I did use it for testing purposes and it's as useless as I described it in my first post. Also, I've seen so many systems being destroyed by driver updaters that I know the dangers of using a such software. And before you ask, yes, most of these systems used Driver Booster 2 and/or Advanced SystemCare.

You always mention the "IT guys" in a negative aspect. You don't know me, you don't know what I do and you don't know how I work. So you have no right to judge me. I'm taking your comments very personally right now. If you want to continue this debate with me, take it via PM, not in public.

Edited by Aura., 27 April 2015 - 09:36 AM.

unite_blue.png

#15 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 09:51 AM

Do I need to uninstall Seguna PSI?  I use only to alert me about a possible program [not driver] update.

I'm asking only because I'm wondering if program updaters are just as potentially problematic as driver updaters.

Edited by RolandJS, 27 April 2015 - 09:52 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users