Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

explorer.exe not starting, startup programs not starting

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ravendark

ravendark

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 16 April 2015 - 09:26 AM

I have a Dell XPS 8300 64 bit Windows 7

My HDD recently failed, so I ordered a new one and did a full restore off of my NTI backup drive. I started the computer up with both HHD's hooked up, so that I could transfer whatever filed hadn't backed up from the old to the new. I then discovered that because I did so, the old HDD was still labeled C and the new was now labeled D. This caused the blue screen of "this copy of windows is not genuine" issue when only the new HDD was hooked up.

I researched for days. If both HDD's were hooked up, the computer would boot from the old one, even if I selected the new one from the boot menu.

I downloaded Paragon HFS and installed that onto a flash drive. I booted from the flash drive and selected boot correcter. I switched the drive letters of the two HDD's and ran the other boot correctors as well. I shutdown and removed the old HDD and started up.

Seemingly I was able to boot off the new HDD, but now explorer.exe was not starting. It was just a black screen after logon. So I ctrl+alt+delete to bring up talk manager and ran explorer.exe and there it was. The other issue is that NONE of the standard startup programs are starting. My computer is essentially starting as if it is in safe mode. Just the bare minimum.

I put in my windows reinstallation disk and booted from it and ran the repair and it did its thing. Nothing changed.

I go into msconfig and all the normal programs that I had before are on the startup list and all are checked off except openoffice.org. However, any changes I try to make will not take. I am running msconfig as administrator. Right now, "selective" startup is selected on the general tab. If I select "normal startup" and click apply, the check goes right back to "selective". If I go into the startup tab and uncheck one or check openoffice.org and click apply, my changes are undone. In the services tab, all are checked off. I would estimate that more services are stopped than running, although I am really not sure which ones are supposed to be running and which aren't.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ravendark

ravendark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2015 - 09:31 AM

The processes that run on startup are as follows.

csrss.exe

winlogon.exe

atieclxx.exe

taskeng.exe

taskhost.exe

#3 ravendark

ravendark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2015 - 09:41 AM

One more thing. I went to the boot menu and selected repair this computer and this message popped up.

The Windows boot configuration data (BCD) store file contains some invalid information.

Object GUID:{626134bf-e003-11e0-8fef-001aa07964d7}

Description: Windows Recovery Environment

Info: The configuration for an element within the object is invalid in the boot configuration data store

The associated Windows boot loader entry may not be available for selection until the problem is rectified by an administrator.

Edited by ravendark, 16 April 2015 - 09:49 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users