Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

None working keyboard, trackpad, and usb mouse

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 jmeadows

jmeadows

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 16 April 2015 - 09:10 AM

I have a dell inspiron with windows 7 home. All input device will not work. It is NOT a hardware issue because all input devices work fine in bios and when booted off other media.

will detect usb mouse, install drivers and optical light is on, but cursor will not move.

WTH?!?!?

Thanks!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,506 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 16 April 2015 - 09:17 AM

1) What happens if you uninstall the USB mouse and only have the touchpad online?

2) Also, are you using an external monitor plugged into the S/VGA port?  Reason for asking:  in the old days, if during a monitor swap, a certain monitor pin was accidentally bent and not making contact, the keyboard and mouse would not respond.  Wait, you said you can use mouse, keyboard, touchpad in BIOS?  Then, #2 doesn't apply to you.

Edited by RolandJS, 16 April 2015 - 09:19 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 jmeadows

jmeadows
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2015 - 10:23 AM

Trackpad does not word with or without usb mouse plugged in. I did a virus scan and it found nothing major

#4 dudeage

dudeage

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 16 April 2015 - 11:21 AM

Is it posible to boot into Safe Mode or try Last Known Good Configuration from the f8 Advanced Options Menu?  That's accessed before Windows as well.   

If Last Known Good Config doesn't work, I'd say check things out in Safe Mode.  If you need help getting there, please let me know. 

Edited by dudeage, 16 April 2015 - 11:22 AM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 16 April 2015 - 11:34 AM

Please post the model of this Inspiron.

Click on the Start orb startorb_zpsvudtmgfg.png, then copy and paste devmgmt.msc in the Search programs and files, then press Enter.

When the Device Manager opens scroll down to Mice and other pointing devices and double click on it.  

Then double click on your touchpat, then click on the Driver tab and uninstall the driver.

Restart the computer for this to take effect, it will install a fresh driver for the touchpat.

Do the same thing under Keyboards. 

Edited by dc3, 16 April 2015 - 11:36 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 jmeadows

jmeadows
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2015 - 01:12 PM

Same thing in safe mode. I can't make any changes in the OS because I can't type or move the mouse with the trackpad or with a USB mouse.

I'll try the last know settings, but I doubt it will make a difference because it boots fine. There are no restore points I can go back to

thanks

#7 dudeage

dudeage

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2015 - 01:24 PM

I'm assuming at this point you've already tried a reboot?  It sounds like that to me.   

If that's the case, do you have your data backed up and a WIndows CD? 

Looks like you may have no choice but to reinstall Windows.  If you don't have your data backed up, you'll have to take out the hard drive and put it in another PC as a 2nd hard drive and snag the data that way. 

If that doesn't work, then you'll have no choice but to replace the motherboard as something isn't quite right with the signals from the input devices. 

Edited by dudeage, 16 April 2015 - 01:25 PM.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,365 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2015 - 01:48 PM

Do you have the operating system for your version of Windows?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,365 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2015 - 01:52 PM

@dudeage

This is the second time today I've seen you suggest reinstalling the operating system without exhausting the other options first.  Reinstalling the operating system is what you do when you can't get anything else to work, we have not reached that point.  I don't know if you just don't know of anything else to suggest or if you just give want to take the easy way out.

#10 dudeage

dudeage

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2015 - 04:33 PM

@dudeage

This is the second time today I've seen you suggest reinstalling the operating system without exhausting the other options first.  Reinstalling the operating system is what you do when you can't get anything else to work, we have not reached that point.  I don't know if you just don't know of anything else to suggest or if you just give want to take the easy way out.

I don't see you suggesting anything else....if you can think of something better then put up or shut up. 

I see no value whatsoever wasting time on grasping at straws doing piddly little tweaks....or using an endless supply of 3rd party software to scan for this or look for that. 

Let's look at the facts of the case, shall we? 

- Input devices work fine during POST but before OS Boot, but post-OS boot they don't work (HINT:  This ALONE is a huge clue that points to Windows being the issue) 

- Since Input devices don't work in Windows, all troubleshooting within Windows is out the door because it's impossible to do.  So, even if it was a case of the drivers issue, they can't be reinstalled because no input devices will work.  So, anything you could do within Windows is out.  HINT:  Since nothing can be done in Windows, it's impossible for the user to do as you suggested and type in devmgmt.msc to get to Device Manager.  The keyboard is part of the problem, so that's not going to work, now is it?    

- It's still doing the same thing in Safe Mode.  Since we know Windows includes USB drivers pre-installed, and that Safe Mode is only loaded with the most basic drivers (of which USB drivers are anyway) it again makes sense. 

What else is left to do?  Nothing, except to do as I suggested and reinstall windows then swap out the motherboard if that doesn't work. 

You call it the "easy way out," I call it fixing the problem ASAP. 

As I posted elsewhere and the mods thoughtlessly deleted, if you're fixing someone else's computer do you think that person would rather be billed for 7 hours of your time screwing around with stuff that MIGHT solve the issue or 3 or 4 hours of something that is almost 100% DEFINITELY sure to solve the issue.   

Maybe instead of whining about my posts you should come up with something better if you think my way is so bad. 

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,404 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2015 - 04:42 PM

...and now...after unstated apologies from each...we return to the topic/situation at hand.  We...the collective membership of BC...have no time for these off-topic outbursts.

" I did a virus scan and it found nothing major."

If you found anything during a scan...the wise thing to do (with such an unusual situation) would be to have the more knowledgeable check for malware in the Am I Infected forum, IMO.  Moving topic to Am I Infected.

Louis

#12 jmeadows

jmeadows
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2015 - 04:52 PM

Feel better dudeage? Now go pop a cold one. I am at the point of reinstalling the os. it found viruses with an avira rescue cd. I may try and run more scans I don't know.

It is the strangest thing...Just plugged in the mouse again and it detects, installs and even says your device is ready to use and nothing!

If I could remote into the computer, maybe that would work, but I have no idea how to get the remote software installed. Will try last know good config, but have my doubts about it because it is able to boot already.

Thanks Fellas!

#13 dudeage

dudeage

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2015 - 05:09 PM

Yeah, Last Known Good Config was just something to try.  I've found it's come in handy for me in the past. 

Good idea using a rescue CD from someone - I didn't even know those existed, lol!!!!!

Assuming you use Windows 7, and that you've already used this Avira CD, I guess it comes down to do you want to take the time to run scans which might rid the system of malware or do you want to reinstall the OS which will definitely rid the system of malware?

Let me know what happens.   

#14 jmeadows

jmeadows
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2015 - 09:47 AM

Jumping ship and reinstalling the os. not sure what is going on here.

thanks!

#15 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,506 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2015 - 11:24 AM

jmeadows, did I read earlier correctly?  Your F8 menu's use last known good configuration failed?  

Jumping ship and reinstalling the os. not sure what is going on here.

thanks!

I was going to suggest that, 'cause that F8-config worked for others and for me; ok, later, man.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users