Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive space disappearing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Geosteff

Geosteff

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 16 April 2015 - 04:43 AM

Hi, I am running Windows 7 on an HP laptop that is over 4 years old. Over the last few months, Explorer shows that the hard drive fills up at approximately 1-3GB per day, even when I know I am not downloading anything. I run CCCleaner and remove all unnecessary files, use Avast Free and do security checks. I also run WinDirStat that shows my hard drive is only using 180GB (this appears to be accurate) when Explorer shows that it is +220GB full. Is this a malware fault or a sign of failing hardware?

Edited by hamluis, 17 April 2015 - 09:51 AM.
Moved to Win 7 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 16 April 2015 - 05:24 AM

Hi Geosteff :)

I helped someone with the same issue yesterday and it pretty much looks like you are having the same issue as him. Click on your Start Menu, then right-click on Computer and select Properties. From there, click on Advanced System Settings in the left pane. Go to the System Protection tab and click on the Modify button. What is the maximum usaged defined for the System Restore, and what is it's actual usage?

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Geosteff

Geosteff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2015 - 07:39 AM

Hi there, Thanks for your quick reply! The maximum usage is 70.2GB (25% of the hard drive) and actual is 57.42GB.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2015 - 07:49 AM

That's what I thought. You dedicated 25% of your hard drive space for the System Restore points, which means that 25% of it will show as "full", no matter if it's in use or not. Reduce the maximum space to about 10-15% of your hard drive usage, and also click on Delete to delete all your current restore points. Once it's done, create a new fresh one to get started. After that, let me know how's your hard drive free space :)

Edited by Aura., 16 April 2015 - 07:49 AM.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Geosteff

Geosteff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2015 - 02:05 AM

Many thanks. You are a BLESSING! It works and I feel relieved!

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2015 - 05:18 AM

No problem Geosteff, my pleasure :)

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users