Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help creating a Computer network at work.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RossDG

RossDG

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 16 April 2015 - 04:30 AM

Hello there,

I work at a school where we have 25 computers in the computer center. I would like to create a server where kids can save their work but access it from any computer. All computers are connected to the internet WIRELESSLY.

• What software would I need? I am running XP professional on all computers.
  • What hardware would I need?

If you could point me in the direction of any helpful resources, I would be incredibly greatful.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by hamluis, 16 April 2015 - 08:44 AM.
Moved from XP to Networking - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 16 April 2015 - 12:38 PM

I am assuming when you say they are connected "wirelessly to the internet" that a device in the school that is what gives them internet?

Budget is how much? How much space do you need?

There are a bunch of ways you could do this but I think it all boils down to 2: build and fiddle with a server, windows or linux as the OS OR get a NAS box with a few bays/drives.

If you went windows as the OS the computer is going to have to be much beefier(aka more expensive) than for a linux distro but the windows would be a bit more familiar and easier to setup. Oh and then there is the pesky licences for windows as well.

Where as a NAS and I am talking more of a pre-built one, would be plug, configure users/security through a GUI, and pretty much done. You could build a NAS box, which would be less expensive, much more flexible but again there is the time factor of putting it together, fiddling with it.

In the end I would look at doing a NAS. I'd go pre-built NAS, they aren't that expensive and are fairly straight forward in the setup. But if you have no budget building one now a days isn't that difficult and once it's built the setup is almost the same as a pre-built.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 16 April 2015 - 05:16 PM

I'd recommend forgetting this idea.  Administration will be a nightmare.  At 25 machines you're way above a work group solution.  That means you would need to set up a server solution.  Then you need to create a user name and password for all of the kids, which means dealing with forgotten passwords.  Not creating user names and passwords would mean that everyone could access everyone stuff.  This will not end well with children.  And I haven't even gotten into creating and dealing with network shares.

#4 RossDG

RossDG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 17 April 2015 - 04:20 AM

Thanks for your input.

I found this video on youtube talking about a DIY freeNAS file share server. This is pretty much what I had in mind: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcvU6EoKbaM

This seems like a project that I could work on in my free periods. What are your thoughts?

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 17 April 2015 - 09:35 AM

If you are looking for a project, building a NAS is a relatively inexpensive, fun, simple, and rewarding project. There are many videos on how to do it. FreeNAS is one of many free NAS software packages out there. Each might be slightly different than the next but they are all basically the same layout and have the same feel. If ya go for it let us know how it's going.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users