Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unchecky acquired by Reason Software

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 16 April 2015 - 04:24 AM

Adware Blocker Unchecky acquired by Reason Software - GHacks

A recent entry on the author's blog confirms that the software has been acquired by Reason Software.

According to the blog entry, nothing will change for existing Unchecky users. Unchecky will be integrated into Reason Software's Reason Core Security application that is available as a free and paid version.

The core difference between both versions is that the paid version offers real-time protection and automatic scans while the free version does not.

Unchecky has already been integrated into the program so that users of it benefit from its functionality.

See the official post from its original developer here. Unchecky will have a standalone version as well as being integrated into Reason Software's Reason Core Security.

For those who are unfamiliar with Unchecky: It is a small utility that warns you when something is going to install a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Program) on your machine, and automatically unchecks those additional "options" for you.

However, there are two things to take note of: 1) Unchecky was still in BETA before this (status unknown after); and 2) Unchecky will not work if the installer does not have checkboxes in its standard installation mode - you will have to choose Custom Installation for it to work.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 16 April 2015 - 05:26 AM

I didn't even know that Reason Software was behind ShouldIRemoveIt, however I knew they were the one behind herdProtect. So now they'll be handling two programs that are in beta but that have favorable reviews so far. First time I've heard of their protection product too, I could give it a try tonight.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,143 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2015 - 05:57 AM

Appears they are combining everything into one product...Reason Core Security and eventually may not offer stand-alone versions of the others.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2015 - 06:07 AM

I sure hope that they don't, quietman7.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,143 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2015 - 06:11 AM

Better to incorporate/integrate than to buy and remove from the market like some vendors have done.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,551 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2015 - 06:46 AM

Well it looks like I'll be downloading the latest installer of each programs and keep them in my archive for those who'll need them in the future. Mainly Unchecky, since for now herdProtect is still in beta and that kind of program when in beta is prone to false positives.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,143 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2015 - 06:58 AM

Unchecky is beta too.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,551 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2015 - 07:03 AM

Yes I know, althought it looks way more stable than herdProtect too. I don't think that with Unchecky we need to worry about "false positive", just the fact that it can come across installers that aren't supported and it won't react to them.

unite_blue.png

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,143 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2015 - 06:33 PM

It can give novice users a false sense of security.

#10 Fremont PC

Fremont PC

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 17 April 2015 - 02:06 AM

Why does Conduit (may sewer pipes rupture above their open sunroofs) seem to me not too unlike devs for Malware Development Kits? 

#11 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2015 - 02:11 AM

The people that make those toolbars and so insisted that their *products* are not malware... so instead of that, we call them "Potentially Unwanted Program" (PUP) and make PUP detection in AM software optional. (it sounded ridiculous IMHO, as nobody want those PUPs on their machines)

Edited by Alexstrasza, 17 April 2015 - 02:12 AM.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,143 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2015 - 05:01 AM

Conduit (now ClientConnect) is a toolbar engine installed (bundled) with other free software which allows users to add applications directly to their browser without a community toolbar. Conduit offers a distribution option for Conduit-powered offerings and is used in order to generate ad revenue for the company.

How do I earn money with bundles?
By offering (“bundling”) a Community Toolbar in your software installer, you are boosting the Community Toolbar’s installs. The Active Rewards program pays you based on the number of daily active users of your Community Toolbar according to the Three Tiers Table. If you are not yet a member of the Active Rewards program, you can join through the Make Money tab.

Conduit Community Toolbar Help Center

While not explicitly malware or an infection in the typical sense, Conduit products (Toolbar, Search Protect) are more accurately classified as a Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP) because they are often installed stealthily (bundled) without knowledge or consent from the end user. Bundled software can often be the source of various issues and problems to include adware, pop-up ads, browser hijacking which may change your home page/search engine, and cause user profile corruption.

PUPs do not fall into the same categories as viruses, Trojans, worms, rootkits and bots, and that is the primary reason some anti-virus programs do not detect or remove them. One characteristic of PUPs and other junkware is that they insert themselves (components) into various areas throughout a computer's operation system to include browsers, hidden folders and windows registry making it more difficult to remove. As such it is not uncommon for security scanners to detect numerous files, folders and registry settings after repeated scans are performed.

To learn more about PUPs and how you get them, please read: About those Toolbars and Add-ons - Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs)

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,551 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2015 - 05:17 AM

Fun fact is that the "Conduit Engine" at first used to be a legitimate product, like it's purpose was a bit like Ad-Aware Web Companion. But they distributed it like a PUP that was seen as a browser hijacker and was modified by other people, so now it's simply an annoying PUP.

unite_blue.png

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,143 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2015 - 05:30 AM

Conduit's purpose has always been to get other vendors to bundle their software in the guise of generating revenue

#15 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,968 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 17 April 2015 - 11:04 AM

The general rule is:

A PUP is junk but you can get rid of it from the programs and features menu in control panel.
True malware is much more difficult to get rid of.

If you can't get rid of it from the control panel then I would suggest that the word "malware" is the best description for any particular junk program.

Edited by rp88, 17 April 2015 - 11:04 AM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users