Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for criticism/advice on first build

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 VicVegas

VicVegas

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 15 April 2015 - 11:05 PM

I've been held back forever from being able to put together a PC due to budget and personal issues but I've settled on wanting to spend $1200 or less on the tower and guts of the machine and this is what I've come up with.

I'm just wondering now if everything should fit together alright and if there's any details I should change.

Full list with prices: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wzfmHx

Intel Core i5-4690K Devil's Canyon Quad-Core 3.5GHz

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler

MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3

Crucial BX100 CT250BX100SSD1 2.5" 250GB SATA Solid State Drive

Western Digital Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive

EVGA 04G-P4-2974-KR GeForce GTX 970

CM Storm Scout 2 Advanced - Gaming Mid Tower

Rosewill Glacier-850M, Glacier Series 850W Modular Power Supply

Cooler Master SickleFlow 120 - Sleeve Bearing 120mm Red LED Silent Fan

Edited by VicVegas, 15 April 2015 - 11:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 16 April 2015 - 05:08 AM

For me, I'd go with a Gigabyte or Asus motherboard as they tend to be of a bit better quality.  You're also going to need to buy a copy of Windows.  Motherboards like the ASUS Z97-A LGA 1150 Intel Z97 or the GIGABYTE GA-G1.Sniper Z97 would work.

3939.png

#3 defanged

defanged

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2015 - 11:40 PM

i don't know what your financial status looks like, but a reasonably cheap way that improves performance as well as lengthening the lives of your bits and pieces is to switch from a standard fan-based cooling system to a liquid system. this used to be a major pain in the ass, but with items like the corsair h100i (pre-assembled liquid cooling system) it is possible to - with some work - implement a major upgrade with only the mildest of migraines...

SETUP, as of 4/14 - Case: Corsair 900D full tower, PSU: corsair 1200 watts, MB: ASUS rampage IV extreme, GPU(s): 3 X Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 hydro copper classified in 3-way SLI , RAM: 64 GB corsair dominator platinum DDR3, CPU: i7 3970X extreme edition @ 3.5 GHz (hexacore), OD: ASUS blu-ray RW, Cooling: EK liquid system, incl. EK waterblock, EK fittings, EK pump, resevoir, coolant misc., generic tubing, Audio: Creative sound blaster Recon3D THX PCIE Fatal1ty Champion sound card, Storage: SSD/HD: 2 X 240 GB samsung SSD (OS - win 7 pro), 1 TB caviar black, 4 TB caviar blue.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2015 - 12:31 PM

No offense!  But I am not a fan of something that can pee in the box unless absolutely needed, unless he over clocks it is not needed.  There are a number air cooler that will do very well both have pros + cons, one should be sure they need the added expense.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1280696/the-final-say-about-water-vs-air-cooling-your-cpu-graphics-card-gpu

http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/2ggie9/discussion_air_cooling_vs_water_cooling_8_coolers/

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 defanged

defanged

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2015 - 04:35 AM

none taken ;)

SETUP, as of 4/14 - Case: Corsair 900D full tower, PSU: corsair 1200 watts, MB: ASUS rampage IV extreme, GPU(s): 3 X Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 hydro copper classified in 3-way SLI , RAM: 64 GB corsair dominator platinum DDR3, CPU: i7 3970X extreme edition @ 3.5 GHz (hexacore), OD: ASUS blu-ray RW, Cooling: EK liquid system, incl. EK waterblock, EK fittings, EK pump, resevoir, coolant misc., generic tubing, Audio: Creative sound blaster Recon3D THX PCIE Fatal1ty Champion sound card, Storage: SSD/HD: 2 X 240 GB samsung SSD (OS - win 7 pro), 1 TB caviar black, 4 TB caviar blue.

#6 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 25 April 2015 - 08:55 PM

Vic:  Regardless of the choices you make, pay real close attention to standoff placement.  Metal standoffs in the wrong location will cause headaches with intermittent problems.  I use nylon standoffs with nylon screws.  The manual for the MOBO should provide the locations where a ground is needed.  Sometimes complete assembly outside the case will help smooth things once inside.

#7 CG_5

CG_5

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 09 May 2015 - 06:39 AM

Hi there,

You have made a fabulous choice for a CPU, I was looking at a top ten list the other day and saw that one at the top.

Now, I know others might disagree on this but from my experience I have found 8GB of RAM is becoming not enough

for my daily gaming and browsing routines. Right now I am only in Mozilla and running the minimal processes, yet look

at my RAM usage,

rLgy6FJ.png

So I'd go for 16 if you can, I will be upgrading to 32 soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users