Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop shortcuts with Windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 15 April 2015 - 05:23 PM

Hello -
First, I posted this on Kioskea.net, as they seemed to offer some listed ideas that I could not find here, but it has been left unanswered.

All of my earlier computers were able to leave a desktop shortcut for BleepingComputer and other forums (Examples : MBAM and Geeks2Go) but now I am unable to do similar things here (8.1 Classic Shell). I did  get a MBAM forum link as soon as I understood the computer, but I am unable to a ) Reproduce it - and b ) Create any new ones.
Attached File  Forum link.JPG   13.78KB   0 downloads This is just a link to the main MBAM forum (to look etc), and is not as signed in

After using Win98, XP, Win7, I now Battle with my 8.1 with "Classic Shell format" The main problem is as asked in the title.
Some EXE. programs will "Send shortcut / download to desktop" but many others will only send to Bookmarks (or similar).
I believe that they need an exe. to qualify, but I help at several minor forums that I just want to access from the desktop, and not go to bookmarks / favourites each time I look for, or skip to an area.
Is there a more simple method rather than what I have read about, very complicated and almost a Registry edit each time. I had previously (Win 7) been able to Right click on the forum title, and send that to desktop as a program, but not now.
Sorry for the long post, and a Moderator is welcome to move if I have it wrong.
I have been given several links by a good trusted Admin at MBAM, but they seem well beyond my Right Click > Send to desktop versions

It may be that I just don't understand the given tutorials ??

Regards -
Ask for more if required ..........

MiniToolBox by Farbar  Version: 14-04-2015

Mod Edit by quietman7: log removed at member's request to protect privacy.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 17 April 2015 - 05:18 PM

Please ignore now, (as it had no direct answer) and I have developed reasonable versions of what I wanted.

Attached File  New links.JPG   15.54KB   0 downloads This will do for now, and is the basis of what I wanted

Thanks to the 100 who looked -

Edited by noknojon, 17 April 2015 - 05:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users