Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for some reliable components to replace current ones.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 DeZako

DeZako

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 15 April 2015 - 05:09 PM

Hi!

About five months ago or so I had a friend offer to budget and build me a PC. He was an "expert" and I trusted his judgement. Bad move.

Total cost was about 800-900€, and so far, I haven't been able to play any kind of graphicly intensive game whatsoever: I manage to run it beautifully, until it starts crashing every now and then. In some, I managed to stall it by forcibly closing the MOM process, but the game (Far Cry 3) then ran at a much lower quality and framerate, but, gladly, without crashing. I've had this issue with every game that hasn't Prison Architect- level graphics.

It's probably something about the GPU, that, after some digging around, I found to be pretty unreliable in general, with my problems being quite common among users. I've tried all the solutions offered: roll back to previous drivers, installed the newest ones, uninstalled them properly, formatted the whole system three times...

But, just in case, I'm not going to trust my friend anymore, and I'd love if you guys told me what else is wrong with my build, and offered some suggestions about replacement parts (also, if it's not much to ask, a reliable and reasonably powerful GPU that I won't have to sell my liver to pay for.)

Specs

Operating System
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1

CPU
AMD FX-8350
Vishera 32nm Technology

RAM
8,00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard
MSI 970A-G43 (MS-7693) (CPU 1)

Graphics
VX239 (1440x900@60Hz)
2048MB ATI AMD Radeon R7 200 Series (Gigabyte)

Storage
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-21M2NA0 ATA Device (SATA)

Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSC0 ATA Device

Audio

AMD High Definition Audio Device

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 15 April 2015 - 07:19 PM

Hello Dezako and welcome to the forum! Based from the specifications you have provided, there is nothing wrong with the build itself, as it all should be fully compatible with each of the component. In practice, the R7 200 series graphics card line is capable of producing decent and playable frame rates for the resolution you have it at, although this does sound like a major driver issue you are experiencing. At this point, i can see two ways you can approach this, continue investigating the crash issues or purchase a Nvidia graphics card to avoid the AMD graphics drivers. One last point i would like to add, is how are the temperatures of the CPU and GPU in the system when idle and under game load? 

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 DeZako

DeZako
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2015 - 07:08 AM

Idle, temps hover at around 20-25º for the CPU and 25-30º for my GPU, but both go up to 40-50º when gaming. The motherboard reaches 60º and I don't really know if it's normal.

Also, I'm tired of hunting for a solution that might or might not solve my problem, but has a big chance of screwing my PC up. I'll go with the "buy new stuff" option. Any recomendations?

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 16 April 2015 - 07:53 AM

Depending on the budget, you can get a GTX960 which will easily run at maximum graphics settings on most games at your resolution. For the moment, the graphics card upgrade would hopefully fix the issues you have been experiencing, since we are trying Nvidia drivers. 

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 DeZako

DeZako
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2015 - 09:02 AM

Thing is, I had to tune down the resolution to actually be able to run anything. Max resolution I can get is 1920x1080. Guess that would change things, sorry for not mentioning it before...

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 16 April 2015 - 09:51 AM

The GTX960 is perfect for 1920 x 1080.  The GTX970 is better, but at a significant cost increase.  I'd recommend trying to find out what the root cause of the problems are before changing parts though.  What is the exact GPU you have and what power supply is in the PC?

7sbvuf-6.png

#7 DeZako

DeZako
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2015 - 10:00 AM

GPU

2048MB ATI AMD Radeon R7 200 Series (Gigabyte)

Power supply 

Templarius Imperator 550W

#8 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2015 - 10:18 AM

The R7 200 *series* ranges from the R7-240 (low end, not really good enough for high resolution gaming) to the R7-265 which is a rebadged HD7850 (not too bad).

Power supply I'm not overly keen on.  It's output at 12v is 35A/420w and combined with an 8 core CPU and powerful graphics card, may be beyond it's happy limits.  I'm not saying that is the problem, but it's potentially worth looking at especially if your graphics card is an R7-265 which are relatively power hungry..

7sbvuf-6.png

#9 DeZako

DeZako
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2015 - 11:00 AM

So I'd better upgrade that too, then. Any recommendation that isn't too overpriced?

#10 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2015 - 01:56 PM

You can't go wrong with Seasonic (or Seasonic made PSU's for other OEM's like Antec or XFX).  Or anything made by Superflower.  I think something like this would be a good no frills choice for a AMD 8 core system with high power GPU - https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/antec-power-supply-tp650c

More than you'd need in fact, certainly with an Nvidia which tend to be more power efficient than AMD gpu's, but lots of spare capacity.  You'd get away with a better quality 550w unit than you have which I suspect is an older design.  Better/newer PSU's are able to output nearly all of their rated power at 12v, which is the voltage that the big power components (CPU & GPU) use exclusively.  The minor voltages (3.3v, 5v etc.) don't do a lot in a modern PC.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users