Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Windows XP is not starting up properly, always keeps restarting...

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Paulos1

Paulos1

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 15 April 2015 - 04:34 PM

I need help badly, brand new, beautiful computer and the Windows XP is not currently starting up correctly due to the scandisk that kept coming up- NOW EVERYTIME I LOAD THE COMP UP instead it brings me the black screen to decide if it wants me to use last known settings/safe mode/start windows normally but EVERY TIME it starts up now all it does it bring me to that SCREEN. HELP PLEASE :(

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 15 April 2015 - 06:33 PM

Have you tried running Startup Repair ?

Startup Repair - Windows 7 features - Microsoft Windows - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/startup-repair

Startup Repair fFAQ - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/startup-repair-frequently-asked-questions

Startup Repair frequently asked questions - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Startup-Repair-frequently-asked-questions

Repair Windows 7 Using the Startup Repair Tool - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ss/windows-7-startup-repair.htm

Louis

#3 Paulos1

Paulos1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2015 - 06:39 PM

This is Windows XP- an HP... it goes to the black screen everytime I start up the computer, sir, this is not Windows 7.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,474 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2015 - 06:07 AM

Have you tried using System Restore to return to a previous state before the problems began?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Paulos1

Paulos1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2015 - 06:47 AM

I can't get to System Restore because I cannot boot to WINDOWS itself, only to that black screen is as far as it goes no matter what option I choose sir.

#6 Paulos1

Paulos1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2015 - 06:50 AM

That "Command Prompt" area that I try to have it boot up to- it does the exact same thing- it simply restarts and sends me RIGHT BACK to that black screen.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2015 - 07:51 AM

My apologies, I confuse easily and I visit both forums routinely.

Can you boot into safe mode?

A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222

What model HP system is this?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 16 April 2015 - 07:55 AM.

#8 Paulos1

Paulos1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2015 - 08:19 AM

No sir- because everytime I start up the computer it auto loads to that black screen with the option of going into Safe Mode, or Safe Mode Networking/Command Prompt, Last Known Good Configs and Start Windows Manually- I try EACH ONE, now over FOUR HUNDRED TIMES and it always restarts when it begins to load the Windows XP screen bar, never gets into Windows and always- ALWAYS simply kind of ... dumps right back to exactly where I was with those five options.

#9 Paulos1

Paulos1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2015 - 08:20 AM

Oh the model? Uh... uh... ... >_> uh... let's see hp pavilon, vision amd21 ab, hp premier experience- I have no clue if that gives any clariyorance as the only other thing I can do with this computer is press F2 and access the computer settings like devices/etc, but ... that has been to no avail because ... I suck at it.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2015 - 08:52 AM

Please look at the paperwork which came with your system...the model should be indicated on it.

Pavilion is a generic name for many different models.

Is this a laptop or a desktop?

Louis

#11 Paulos1

Paulos1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2015 - 08:55 AM

Desktop... no papers uh came with it sir...

#12 Paulos1

Paulos1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2015 - 09:06 AM

Uhhh in System Settings in F10 I sort of found this info- P7-1220 AMD A-83820, APU RADEON ... er... ?... I kknow part of that is the graphics card...

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2015 - 10:03 AM

When you tap F8 at boot select Disable Auto Restart at System Failure. Does the computer still Auto Reboot?

#14 Paulos1

Paulos1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2015 - 10:23 AM

Tap F8 at boot select?... I don't even think that does anything sir, as in I never even saw any words on that screen that said "Disable Auto Restart" or "System Failure" ... I think I'd have to go into the darn computer settings ... AGAIN >_> and NOW... a new development, it doesn't restart over and over and over now, I press Start Windows Normally/Best Config w/e and instead of halting at the Windows XP screen and restarting, now it just keeps LOADING the bar, for like over 10 minutes and never boots up the Windows itself so I'm still where I was just at. Should I experiment in Computer Settings and find this Disable Auto Restart ... thing?

#15 Paulos1

Paulos1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2015 - 10:34 AM

Okay I went and saw that blue font on the bottom you were talking about... it seems to keep restarting itself yes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users