Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cannot connect to ATT router

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 PeggyLee

PeggyLee

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 15 April 2015 - 02:16 PM

I just replaced my Mom's old computer with a slightly newer used computer. It has XP pro. Will not connect to her Motorola NVG510 Motorola router. Called ATT and they checked everything on their end and said it was all working properly. He said he would not be able to help me troubleshoot the computer because it had the un supported XP. My mother is 86 and cannot pay someone to come look at it on her limited income as he suggested. The old computer worked fine with the router until the computer crashed. I was able to connect to her internet with my phone, so the network seems to be working fine. Gives a message of "limited or no connectivity". The computer seems to recognize the router though. The connection says "Intel ® PRO/1000 PM Network Connection." Is there anything I can check within her computer to see if everything is set up to connect? I checked the computer at my home before taking it to her and it connected on my Verizon wireless "Jet Pack" with no trouble. Any help would be appreciated. I am not too computer saavy so you may have to "detail" things a bit for me. Thank you in advance.

Edited by hamluis, 15 April 2015 - 06:29 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Networking - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kentcomputers

kentcomputers

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 05 May 2015 - 08:56 PM

Hmmm..seems like your are getting Local Area Network connectivity but the computer can't find its way out to the internet. Does her computer receive an IP address from the router using DHCP? Have you tried setting a static IP on her Network Adapter and double-checked that there is a Default Gateway? Most Home Networks will use 192.168.1.1 as their Default Gateway out to the Internet. Another thing to try is the Network Diagnostics Tool:

1. Click Start, and then click Help and Support.
  2. Under Pick a task, click the link to Use Tools to view your computer information and diagnose problems, and then click Network Diagnostics in the list on the left.
  3. Click Scan your system. The Network Diagnostics tool collects configuration information and performs automated troubleshooting of the network connection.
  4. When the process is complete, look for any items that are marked "FAILED" in red.

Note If you do not see any categories that failed, please see the "Additional troubleshooting information" section for more information about how to troubleshoot network problems.
  5. Expand a category to view the testing results. For example, to check the results for TCP/IP settings, expand the Network Adapters section. Then, check whether a network adapter has failed.

Other things to try might include taking a different computer/device to her network and try connecting. If other devices can connect without a problem then you know FOR SURE the problem is with her computer. Let me know what you come up with.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users