Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop will not boot

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OldGirl

OldGirl

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 15 April 2015 - 12:38 PM

I have been sent over to you guys, by another forum, to see if you can help me with this problem. I have some work on the laptop which wasnt backed up and if you can spare me a miracle, and keep it safe for me I will be eternally grateful :)

Samsung R730 running Windows 7

My laptop has been a bit slow and 'hanging'. After advice which helped I decided to uninstall Avast to see if another anti virus would completely sort it. Uninstalled with Revo, which I have used for a long while. Downloaded Glarey (and yes partner thought it was an antivirus when in fact it is a utilities software) and before installing I restarted the laptop to get rid of the last bits of Avast.

This is where I had the problem and no idea why.

Restarted and
I got - Starting windows - Windows is loading files - then the Start up repair screen.
Problem came up as. D:\Windows\system32\drivers\ACPI.sys is corrupt
Tried the Start up repair four times

Tried system restore - no points could be found (yet I know I made a few myself and presume automatic ones were made)

Tried last known good configuration and it takes me to the Start up repair screen.

Will not boot in safe mode

Done already with Command Prompt (as advised by other forum) :-

chkdsk C: /f

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=C:\ /offwindir=C:\Windows - Error message 'Windows Resource Protection' could not start the repair service'

Bootrec.exe This brings up the list below anyway.
/FixMbr 
/FixBoot
/RebuildBcd and these three just tell me what each command does
(not sure what, if anything I need to add to actually make it perform the actions?)

I very much hope you can help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 15 April 2015 - 01:56 PM

Do you have the OS installation disk?

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 15 April 2015 - 02:47 PM

If you can still open the elevated command prompt, copy and paste the command below, follow this by pressing the Enter key.

bootrec /rebuildbcd

Hopefully you receive the response below.

Scanning all disks for Windows installations.

Please wait, since this may take a while...

Successfully scanned Windows installations.
Total identified Windows installations: 0
The operation completed successfully.

==========

If you run chkdsk in the future, run chkdsk /r, this includes the functionality of /f, but also checks for bad sectors on the hdd and recovers any readable information.

==========

Also, reinstall your graphics drivers.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 OldGirl

OldGirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2015 - 03:47 AM

Morning guys, thanks for the replies.

This is a secondhand laptopand with it came two discs, one is marked 'Windows 7' the other 'drivers and apps'.

Did - bootrec /rebuildbcd - operation completed successfully (took all of about 5 seconds - that's not good is it? :\)

With - chkdsk /r - please confirm what i put in front please (at present I have X)

(I have Boot partition?\drive?, C drive, D drive and E drive which is my DVD drive - (also not much tech knowledge so please excuse my strange layman terms!)

Reinstall graphics drivers - how??

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,363 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2015 - 10:02 AM

Did - bootrec /rebuildbcd - operation completed successfully (took all of about 5 seconds - that's not good is it? :\)

If you received the message that it was successfully it means that it worked.  So this is good.  I would reboot the computer and see if this resolved the problem.

==========

With - chkdsk /r - please confirm what i put in front please (at present I have X)

In front of what?  Below you will find complete instructions for running the chkdsk /r.

Run Chkdsk from Command Prompt

Please run chkdsk /r

Chkdsk /r checks for bad sectors on the hdd and recovers any readable information.

==========

Click on the Start orb and type in cmd in the Search programs and files box.  When cmd is seen in Programs above the Search box right click on it, then click on Run as administrator.

You will see a screen similar to the one below.

Screenshot2.jpg

Copy and then paste chkdsk c: /r in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.  Please notice the space between the chkdsk and the /r.

You will receive the message "CHKDSK cannot be run because it is in use by another process.  Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?  <Y/N>".  This is normal in this operation.  

Type in Y and press Enter.

Restart your computer to start the scan.

This will take a while to run, please be patient and allow it to complete the scan.

When the scan is finished please download and run ListChkdskResult.

This will open Notepad with the results of the chkdsk scan.  Please copy and then paste this log in your topic.

==========

(I have Boot partition?\drive?, C drive, D drive and E drive which is my DVD drive - (also not much tech knowledge so please excuse my strange layman terms!)

I'm not sure what you are asking here, but I will guess that you are wondering what the drive letters pertain to.

Typically the C: drive is the drive which has the operating system on it.  But there are some exceptions where another drive letter is assigned to for the operating system.

Click on the Start orb startorb_zpsvudtmgfg.png, copy and paste diskmgmt.msc in the Search programs and files box.

diskmgmt.msc will appear above the search box, press Enter.  This will open Disk Management.

Please take a screenshot of this and post it in your topic.  The instructions below make this pretty simple to do.

b]How to make a screenshot[/b]

1. Download and run A Thousand Words .

2. Follow the wizard to capture a screenshot

3. Use the built-in editor to resize, edit, or re-capture your screen shot. 

4. Your screen shot will be saved to your desktop when you finish the wizard.

You can post the screenshot in your next post as an attachment.  

Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options

Post2_zpsf05c0430.png

When you click on More Relpy Options  you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you want to post, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

BCreply1_zpsc36d42fc.png 

==========

We will see what the results are for what has been posted here before pursuing the graphics driver.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 OldGirl

OldGirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2015 - 12:50 PM

I'd like to reiterate my lack of tech-ness :\

1, Restarted - no change
2, Run chkdsk - in the cmd prompt box it says - 'x:\Sources>' - Is this right? Does it need to have anything different?
or is this what you want it to say? - 'x:\Sources>chkdsk /r

3,The only way I am able to get to cmd prompt is to put my Windows disc in, and go through until I can click on 'advanced options for system recovery' etc
4, I think there is a misunderstanding. I dont have a start orb, I dont have Windows, I cannot download anything. All I get when I start the laptop is the Start up repair box and saying it cannot repair this computer.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,363 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2015 - 01:20 PM

3,The only way I am able to get to cmd prompt is to put my Windows disc in, and go through until I can click on 'advanced options for system recovery' etc

4, I think there is a misunderstanding. I dont have a start orb, I dont have Windows, I cannot download anything. All I get when I start the laptop is the Start up repair box and saying it cannot repair this computer.

That makes a big difference.

To run chkdsk /r from the System Recovery Options you have to run this chkdsk /r /x.

Before you do that, run the Startup Repair from the disc.  This is one of the options in the System Recovery Options.

#8 OldGirl

OldGirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2015 - 01:41 PM

I have already run the start up repair several times, no change.

Again, I need to know if what is in the cmd prompt window is correct. It says - x:\Sources>
so do I just type - chkdsk /r /x after that?

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,363 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2015 - 02:16 PM

The elevated command Prompt should look like the image below.

elevatedcommandpromptw7_zpseba8c499.png

Is this what you are seeing.

Running the Startup Repair from the disc can be more effective in certain situations.

#10 OldGirl

OldGirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2015 - 10:41 AM

Im sorry but I feel we are going round in circles :(
I have already posted the things I have tried in my first post, I have tried the 'start up repair' with and without disc, and also commented on what is in the cmd prompt box ie

Microsoft Windows and the version then

x:\Sources>

that is why I asked what should go before the scan command

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,363 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2015 - 11:00 AM

Go to this site and use the instructions there.

#12 OldGirl

OldGirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2015 - 06:43 AM

Please bear with me, my tablet is now giving me problems and it is all I have to get on the net with at present. I will try the above asap, thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users