Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my hard drive dead?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 hddproblems

hddproblems

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 15 April 2015 - 10:32 AM

Computer specs:
Win 7 ultimate 64bit
SSD for OS
2x3TB HDD

Problem:
The second 3tb hard drive will randomly disappear. It disappears from Windows explorer AND Disk Management. Rebooting the computer will sometimes cause it to reappear and sometimes do nothing.

Testing:
I've ran chkdsk and HD Tune Pro's disk scan. Neither returned any errors.
I've also used sfc /scannow and did an in place install with my Win 7 CD.
Seatools for Windows crashes my computer when I open it. It causes the entire computer to freeze while it is scanning for ATA devices.
Seatoola for DOS cannot find any of my drives, even when BIOS is in IDE mode.

Is my hard drive dead? Is there anything I can do to fix this? Reading/writing from the drive in question works fine when it is connected, although IO is a bit slow. For example, when I open a folder with lots of files it will take Explorer a few seconds to display everything.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Severus123

Severus123

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 15 April 2015 - 10:52 AM

Check your hard drive with HDD Sentinel

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 15 April 2015 - 10:52 AM

Hi hddproblems :)

I suggest you to use GSmartControl to test the health of your hard drive, and report back with the results here after.

JcJ91sx.pngGSmartControl
Follow the instructions below to test your hard drive health with GSmartControl:
  • Download GSmartControl and save it on your Desktop;
  • Extract the content of the GSmartControl .zip archive and execute gsmartcontrol.exe;
  • Identify your drive in the list, and double-click on it to bring up it's window (usually you'll find your drive by it's size or it's brand name);
  • Go in the Perform Tests tab, then select Extended Self-test in the Test type drop-down list and click on Execute (this test can take a few hours to complete);
  • Once the test is over, the results will be displayed at the bottom of the window. Please copy and paste these results in your next reply;
  • Also, go in the Attributes tab and if you have any entries highlighted in red or pink, copy and paste their name in your next reply (or take a screenshot of the GSmartControl window and attach it in your next reply);
    info_failing.png

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 hddproblems

hddproblems
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2015 - 04:23 PM

Hi hddproblems :)

I suggest you to use GSmartControl to test the health of your hard drive, and report back with the results here after.

Test is currently running.

The Error Log shows: ATA Error Count 81

Attributes: (raw values)

Reallocated Sector Count: 64752

Current Pending Sector Count: 8

Offline Uncorrectable: 8

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2015 - 04:30 PM

This shows that your hard drive is failing:

Reallocated Sector Count: 64752

Not only it's failing, it's dying right now. I suggest you to back up all your data right now before it crashes for real. It's time to replace that hard drive.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 hddproblems

hddproblems
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2015 - 04:47 PM

In the process of transfering everything over now.

A few questions:

1. Renaming files/folders in explorer don't "update" immediately. I need to manually refresh in order for the change to be visible. Is this a hard drive issue or something with Windows?

2. Can I simply unmount the faulty drive or do I have to physically disconnect it?

3. Will unmounting or removing the faulty drive fix my computer crashing?

Edited by hamluis, 16 April 2015 - 12:54 PM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2015 - 04:50 PM

It's an issue with the hard drive. It cannot refresh itself quick enough for the Windows Explorer to update the information by itself. I see it happening a lot on hard drives that are failing or have a high disk usage.
You can unmount it once you're done, but you'll eventually have to change it (physically remove it) and replace it with another one.
And it most likely will, yes, since now if you're using files, programs, etc. from that hard drive, seeing how it's behaving, it's likely to it's making your Windows crash and freeze a lot.

unite_blue.png

#8 hddproblems

hddproblems
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2015 - 05:34 PM

It seems to happen when browsing about my SSD as well.

Anyways, do you have any idea as to why my computer would freeze (crash) while Seatools ran? Does a hard drive defect have that much impact on a system? 

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2015 - 05:35 PM

Yes, it can. As soon as an hardware component that is accessed/in use by Windows is faulty, failing, etc. then it can cause system instability.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users