Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PSU bench power supply

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 hman123467

hman123467

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 15 April 2015 - 08:29 AM

Hi all
I pulled a 350w psu outta an old Lenovo but there is one problem...
So I found how to turn it on and all and the 12v + and - but when I turned it on
1. The fan would not start
2. It went from 12v to 23v (!)

Can anyone explain why or does it need to have a Sata drive on it and the CPU connected
(NOTE: being used for my dogs kennel for lights and AC. It gets about 45c in there and once it was -1c!)

PSU is by ITE (absolutely NO clue what model)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 16 April 2015 - 07:43 AM

PC Power Supplies require a load connected to the supply to properly output the rated voltages.

The "PS ON" signal needs to be taken low (grounded) to turn on the P.S.

I bought a spare ATX P.S. to run an internal CD/DVD Drive on my workbench and to have a way to run Sata HDD's outside my PC for testing. 

Here's what I did:

- Installed a switch to ground from the "PS ON" line (usually the green wire at Pin 14 for an ATX-20 pin connector or Pin 16 for an ATX-24 pin connector.

- Installed a 5V LED on the "PWR OK" signal output between pin 8 and ground.

As long as an adequate load is connected to the P.S. ie the 5V output, like a Sata HDD as you mentioned, the P.S will turn on and output the proper voltages (the fan will run).

t5oz7b.jpg

Edited by Scoop8, 16 April 2015 - 07:46 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users