Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to transfer recovery partition from old hard drive to a new one ?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BShult

BShult

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 15 April 2015 - 08:07 AM

I have Dell laptop Win7 that was hanging on boot including in all safe modes so i did factory reset which went fine but afterwards still hung on boot. fast forword a few days and found out the hard drive was bad. Went to order another of the same model but was out of stock so i just found another (Seagate) with exact same specs and im waiting for it to arrive in the mail.  Originally i planned on just putting fresh copy of Win7 via disc but after awhile i got to thinking about just copying the recovery data off the old hard drive to the new one and just installing a fresh copy via that way. I plugged the old hard drive up externaly to my desktop and it pops right up but oddly enough all i see is the recovery data. Honestly, i was expecting to see it it pop up under removable storage on my desktop under "Computer"  listed  "F:"  which it did but once i clicked on it further i expected to see the typical file system intact like folders such as Program Files, Program Files x86,Users,Windows etc.. and then assumed the actual partition with the recovery data on it would be hidden and since i had just recently did a factory reset i wasnt expecting to see all my old but i figured i would at least see a fresh windows install but instead, soon as i open "F:" up all i see is what looks to be the recovery data right there in plain sight and nothing else..  Now, i know i can just simply copy n paste that data over to the new hard drive once it comes in but what i really want to do is put that data on a hidden partition on the new hard drive and pop it in the laptop and just reboot to factory reset from there putting a fresh copy of windows on it that way and keep me from having to go download drivers,antivirus,updates and all that crap. does anyone know how i can go about doing this ?

BTW, A few years back i had this HP laptop that had all of its partitions deleted for some reason including the recovery. I remember buying a set of disc for like $20 that actually put the recovery partition back on it and then i just did a factory reset from there and had a fresh  copy but i couldnt find any from dell.

Edited by hamluis, 15 April 2015 - 03:59 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 15 April 2015 - 08:47 AM

Being that that the hard drive is bad I would not trust the recovery partition. I think your best bet would be to order recovery media from Dell. They used to be pretty good at giving the recovery media even if the computer is out of warranty but now I think they may overcharge if the computer is out of warranty. Here is a link for purchasing recovery media if in warranty. I would call Dell Support and see how much the recovery media is out of warranty.

http://www.dell.com/support/contents/us/en/04/article/Contact-Information/Customer-Support/customer-support-phone-numbers

I am not sure how you could copy the recovery partition and then use that for recovery. Dell puts the partition at a certain location on the disk and then to do the recovery of Windows 7 it uses a custom Advanced Boot Options by pressing F8 at boot > Repair your Computer > Dell Factory Image Restore. You would lose that by doing a simple copy as you would not know where the recovery partition would be placed on the disk and you would not have the custom startup option.

Edit:There is a way to copy the recovery partition to the same location as the original disk and have the F8 startup option. That would be cloning the drive but I do not recommend doing that on a failing drive.

Edited by JohnC_21, 15 April 2015 - 08:50 AM.

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,776 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 15 April 2015 - 08:56 AM

From your post I am not clear as to if your HDD is failing, has totally failed, or still spins up. However, IF it still works....you might try using Macrium Reflect (free edition) to create an image of the entire laptop HDD, then restore that image to your new drive. You would have to install MR to your desktop, then install the lap HDD in your desktop, load MR and target the lap HDD to create the image. Then remove the lap HDD and substitute the new HDD (you will have to format it first) and restore the image back on to it. Really not complicated, but it is worth a shot. If it works it would include your hidden partition from Dell.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users