Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The capslock indicator on my laptop's keyboard doesn't light up

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lordoftheidiots

lordoftheidiots

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 15 April 2015 - 04:06 AM

It's not like it's always dead, at times it lights up, at times it fluctuates (brightly lit==>dimly lit), and at times it won't light up at all.

The issue is present in the BIOS screen as well.

It looked like a loose connection, so I took the keyboard out of the laptop, the ribbon cable at the keyboard end is fixed - nothing I could do about that, but I cleaned the other end of the cable (the end that connects to the motherboard) using a 91% alcohol solution (the one you use to get thermal grease off your CPU), I also cleaned the connector port on the motherboard where this cable goes in (using a hair drier, not alcohol), but the problem persists.

The key itself works, when I press the capslock, althought the light doesn't come up, but the keyboard starts typing in capital letters. When I press it again, it starts typing lower case.

What could be the problem? Will purchasing a new keyboard solve this? Or is this a motherboard issue?

Original keyboards are kinda expensive, and i don't really want to get a knock-off from ebay, just want to make sure I won't be wasting money by purchasing a new one..

The laptop is an HP probook 4530s.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 16 April 2015 - 08:47 AM

It might just be the LED itself, if you don't mind me asking why does it bother so mutch that you are willing to buy a replacement keyboard? 

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

#3 lordoftheidiots

lordoftheidiots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 16 April 2015 - 01:39 PM

Thanks for replying, it doesn't really bother me much, but if the computer locks up for some reason, I generally have this habit of tapping on the capslock ket to check if the keyboard is responding, I've been doing this since the Windows 98 days when I had a desktop. Now this computer runs Windows 8.1 and it has never locked up, but if some day it does, I wouldn't be able to do that capslock check.

Another reason, if the laptop fails POST, HP indicates what went wrong by issuing a series of capslock blink codes-- like 1 blink indicates a CPU failure, 3 blinks indicate a RAM failure, 4 blinks indicate a GPU failure, 5 blinks indicate a motherboard failure--now if some day the laptop fails POST, i won't be able to tell what went wrong, as I won't be able to see the blinks....

But in daily usage, it's not at all a big deal. I almost never type long sentences in all caps, and even if I have to, when I press the capslock, a popup flashes on the screen saying "Caps ON"/ "Caps OFF" whenever I press the capslock.

I'm not sure, I want to replace it, but replacing it just for a tiny LED malfunction looks like an overkill, now that you've made me think about it :P

But anyway, do you think this is just the LED? Not the motherboard? The indicator lights up just fine at times. At times it lights up dim. And at times it doesn't light up at all.

The connections are okay, I have removed the keyboard from the laptop, cleaned the contacts, and put it back in, but the same issue persists.

Shaking, moving, tapping hard on the key has no effect- when it's not working it won't work no matter what I do, it won't work even if i press on the key with all my strength. And when it's working, I can't trigger a failure, i can shake the laptop, carry it around, press hard on the keys, but it won't misbehave..

The actual key always works though, it's just the small light on the top right corner of the key that's malfunctioning.

Edited by lordoftheidiots, 16 April 2015 - 01:42 PM.

#4 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 25 April 2015 - 02:26 PM

This all sounds like either the LED failing, or whatever turns it on failing, do you dare disarming it and testing the led iself? or you lack the required knowledge?

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users