Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is the best hard drive brand?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 15 April 2015 - 03:59 AM

The Ultimate Hard Drive Test: What Hard Drive is Best? - BackBlaze

Which Hard Drive Should I Buy?

All hard drives will eventually fail, but based on our environment if you are looking for good drive at a good value, its hard to beat the current crop of 4 TB drives from HGST and Seagate. As we get more data on the 6 TB drives, we will let you know.

Edited by Alexstrasza, 15 April 2015 - 04:08 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 15 April 2015 - 04:04 AM

backblaze-annual-hdd-failure-rate-100226

I would normally go with Western Digital (Blues if you're on a budget, and blacks if you have the cash). Though, I've always known Hitachi to put out the best :). HGST isn't too bad either. Really, it's up to your budget.

mYIGVc5.png

#3 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,784 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 15 April 2015 - 04:47 AM

The problem with blackblaze is that they use the drives in environments that are explicitely not foreseen in it's use. Instead of buying server drives which would be capable of dealing with lots of vibrations and 24/7 operating time, they go for the home user version of the drive or, even worse, external drives and then complain about the high failure rates.

In addition they do not always buy new drives, but rather focus on the cheapest possible option available, including buying refurbished drives, where you don't know how many years they've been used before.

A detailed rebuttal of their last years statistic has been posted here: http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/6028/dispelling-backblaze-s-hdd-reliability-myth-the-real-story-covered/index.html

regards
myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

animinionsmalltext.gif

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 peter parker 399

peter parker 399

• Banned Spammer
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 15 April 2015 - 05:07 AM

samsung hard drive best.

#5 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 15 April 2015 - 05:13 AM

I would say that there is no exact way to measure a HDD's lifespan, so whatever brand that an user chooses is irrelevant.

#6 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 15 April 2015 - 05:16 AM

Well, nobody else has done a proper test with constant conditions (nor is it to be perfect) or with enough volume. So, as I said, it's up to budget. I've personally found and heard that WD does a good job. My Seagate is more than 4 years old, and it's still kicking.

But after all, I'm just one person with a couple of drives. No where near enough to draw proper facts from.

mYIGVc5.png

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 15 April 2015 - 09:52 AM

I posted this image on another thread but it shows how the hard drive industry has consolidated over the years.

446px-Diagram_of_Hard_Disk_Drive_Manufac

#8 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 15 April 2015 - 11:13 AM

I like statistics like those above.

I personally have had mixed luck with drive brands in the 3.5 inch industry. Seagate ironically seems to be the most reliable from my retail standpoint over the past ~8 years, Western Digital and Hitachi are nearly equal and all brands obviously fail... 

I can say with certainty in the retail laptop environment, Toshiba 2.5 inch spindle 250-500GB hard drives had the HIGHEST failure rate of any brand in the 2.5 inch 9mm format. I saw no less than 3 laptops a week with a Toshiba drive that appeared to have suffered a head crash or head failure which resulted in hundreds of thousands of bad blocks, I can not be certain this is what happened but these drives were in bad shape according to diagnostic tests! In most of these cases (about 90%) no legible data could be recovered without a professional service such as Drive Savers or Ontrack Recovery where they can take the drive apart. The strange part is that most of these laptops were barely over a year, in some cases they were under a year and still in warranty. Toshiba laptops however outside of hard drive failures were pretty reliable.

Samsung 320GB spindle 2.5 9mm drives also seemed to have issues that I might describe as the "beep" of death. I never tried to replace a controller board on any of these but they were not accessible at a hardware level at all when the "beep" of death happened.

The Toshiba drives I saw were mostly within a range of years 2009-2013. I am not in retail anymore so I do not see enough drives to make any judgement call on drives newer than 2013.

As with any tech, a backup followed by a few more is never a bad idea. Also never keep all of your eggs in one basket, by that I mean your backups all in the same location. I had one customer that lost all data after a house fire.

Edited by zingo156, 15 April 2015 - 11:25 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#9 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 15 April 2015 - 10:48 PM

As with any tech, a backup followed by a few more is never a bad idea. Also never keep all of your eggs in one basket, by that I mean your backups all in the same location. I had one customer that lost all data after a house fire.

Indeed. Cloud backups (perhaps in addition to your other backup routines) are very useful for your most valuable or irreplaceable data.

7sbvuf-6.png

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 16 April 2015 - 01:02 PM

The reality is that there really are only 3 choices today when it comes to manufacturer...WD, Seagate, and HGST.  And HGST is a wholly-owned subsidiary of WD.  Samsung is wholly-owned by Seagate.

Personally...I don't think any one is better than the other...since it's not a case of "better manufacturing" or "worse manufacturing" which determines hard drive failure.  Failure is an inherent part of the process of creating a mechanical-electrical component with sensitivity to force, IMO.

SSDs are "better" simply because they overcome some of that and are also more responsive.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users