Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot start windows without entering in "Disable Driver Signature Enforc" mode.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Silver_fang

Silver_fang

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 15 April 2015 - 02:59 AM

Alrighty, so this happened after i followed these steps from steamcommunity ->

"Enable Kernel Integrity

Kernel Integrity checks must be enabled to play on VAC secured servers. To enable Kernel Integrity checks please follow the steps below:

Exit Steam.
Click the Start button, then 'All Programs', and 'Accessories'
Right-click on Command Prompt and click "Run as administrator..."

- Please note if you are running Windows 8 you will need to press Windows Key + X and select Command Prompt (Admin)

In the command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command:

bcdedit /deletevalue nointegritychecks
bcdedit /deletevalue loadoptions

Restart your computer.
Launch Steam and test the issue again.

Turn off Kernel Debugging

Kernel Debugging must be turned off to play on VAC secured servers. To turn off Kernel Debugging please follow the steps below:

Exit Steam.

- Please note if you are running Windows 8 you will need to press Windows Key + X and select Command Prompt (Admin)

In the command prompt, type the following command and press Enter:

bcdedit /debug off

Restart your computer.

Enable DEP

Data Execution Prevention (DEP) must be enabled to play on VAC secured servers. To restore DEP settings to default please follow the steps below:

Exit Steam.

In the command prompt, type the following command and press Enter:

bcdedit /deletevalue nx

Restart your computer.

Restart your computer

If this is a problem for you on all servers then you can try fixing this problem by exiting Steam and restarting your computer."

After restart i just get to "automatic repair mode" which in the end state that it couldn't be fixed and it want to send the information to Microsoft, when i check the detailed log it says something about damaged or corrupted file.

Tried to get on with Safe mode and all modes, the only mode that worked to get into windows was the "disable driver signature enforcement" mode... i googled some more and found this;

I have been dealing with this for over a month and Dell may have helped me figure it out. This is what I did that appears to have fixed my issue. It appears the bcdedit solutions may not work from an elevated prompt with BitLocker or Secure Boot protection on. This is my reply in my support ticket:

Dell wanted me to try something before formatting and reinstalling OS. They stated that the reason I couldn't apply all the fixes (such as the first post in this topic) was that secure boot was enabled in the bios. So in order to apply the bcdedit commands I needed to disabled secure boot in the bios boot options and restart. Upon restart all the commands worked and I was informed to restart the computer and turn secure boot back on.

I noticed many on the web and Steam community experienced the same error when applying the fixes you provide; one being " 'bcdedit' is not recognized as an operable program or batch file" and the other “an error has occurred setting the element data. The value is protected by secure boot policy and cannot be modified or deleted.” The solution for me was to do the steps described above by Dell as it was the bios setting blocking the bcdedit changes Steam required for VAC.

I suggest adding this line, "Note: Before setting BCDEdit options you might need to disable or suspend BitLocker and Secure Boot on the computer in the bios settings." to https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...2837&l=english

I believe this would rectify many of the support tickets relating to this issue. You may even want to provide this following link since it clearly states that with Bitlocker/Secure Boot on that an elevated command prompt will not be enough to apply bcdedit changes. https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...(v=vs.85).aspx

I would also like to add that after you apply the fixes that you restart your computer and turn BitLocker or Secure Boot back on.

I did use Bitlocker on my second harddrive and so i unlocked it but it still doesn't work, i tried to repair windows files with scannow /sfx but doesn't find anything wrong.

I truly need help with this, thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,285 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 15 April 2015 - 03:51 PM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users