Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

uBlock taken down from the Chrome Web Store for no reason

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 14 April 2015 - 08:52 PM

So I was browsing /g/ and I noticed a thread saying that uBlock, a multi-purpose blocker for Chromium and Firefox-based browsers was taken down from the Chrome Web Store. Since it was on /g/, I didn't really believe it at first, so I Googled around to find more information and found a post on reddit that redirected to the GitHub page of the project, with the developer announcing the news and that he had no idea of why it happened. On top of that, Google seems to be dodging the question.

Link to the GitHub discussion: https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/issues/50

The extension was taken down because they says that it "doesn't respect the policies" for the Chrome Web Store. Some users advance that they took it down, because the developer of uBlock didn't want to create a "white list" of ads that would be displayed despite uBlock being enabled, like other Adblockers do/did.

I know that a lot of people here uses uBlock, since it blocks pretty much everything, it's really efficient, takes very little resources and allows you to use only one extension to do the job of 2-3 of them. What's your take on that? What do you think happened and do you think that the application will be put back in the store?

On a side note, here's what you get when you try to access uBlock on the Chrome Web Store.

wlDZOd9.png

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 14 April 2015 - 08:59 PM

i tried gettings this for firefox yesterday and couldnt find it.

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2015 - 09:02 PM

It's still in the Firefox Web Store:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ublock/

Alex Vallet is the developer for it, since it's a "shared" source code.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2015 - 09:55 PM

It's probably blocking Google ads... seems like a fairly logical move for Google not to distribute something that blocks its revenue.

#5 VecchioScarpone

VecchioScarpone

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2015 - 10:51 PM

Trying it out in Firefox.

Shame that it has been withdrawn from the Chrome Gallery.

Google :nono:

#6 VecchioScarpone

VecchioScarpone

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2015 - 11:14 PM

uBlock from chrismatic.io

Available on chrome web store, not the same?

Edited by VecchioScarpone, 14 April 2015 - 11:20 PM.

#7 Andrei_V

Andrei_V

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 15 April 2015 - 12:42 AM

That is an earlier version 0.9.3.0  and definitely not from the original author.  Gorhill's uBlock is at 0.9.4.1 and is still available on the Opera extension list.

Adblock Super vanished from Chrome store recently, then came back with no explanation.

#8 VecchioScarpone

VecchioScarpone

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2015 - 12:47 AM

That is an earlier version 0.9.3.0  and definitely not from the original author.  Gorhill's uBlock is at 0.9.4.1 and is still available on the Opera extension list.

Adblock Super vanished from Chrome store recently, then came back with no explanation.

Thanks Andrei_V  :thumbup2:

#9 Andrei_V

Andrei_V

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2015 - 01:10 AM

This stinks, Google remove an extension that has been there for months.   Someone else comes along and posts another version of the extension and uses the exact same name ............. Google allow it to stay.

How can Gorhill's work break their policies and the rip off extension does not?

#10 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2015 - 03:45 AM

At the risk of throwing conspiracy gas on the fire, maybe the rip off is purposely named so, because Google likes it more and want all uBlock users to use it instead. I am not saying they took someone's work and re-named it without asking them, but rather informed the programmer that they were intent on pulling the plug on old uBlock, and suggested he capitalize on the name becoming available.

Re: Old uBlock - this pisses me off. Right now the computer I was using uBlock on is kaput (no fault of uBlock). When it is up and running again, I will likely have to replace uBlock - which I had just started to enjoy- with some surrogate uBlock, or go back to running ScriptBlock, AdBlock and FlashControl again.

#11 Andrei_V

Andrei_V

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2015 - 04:31 AM

At the risk of throwing conspiracy gas on the fire, maybe the rip off is purposely named so, because Google likes it more and want all uBlock users to use it instead. I am not saying they took someone's work and re-named it without asking them, but rather informed the programmer that they were intent on pulling the plug on old uBlock, and suggested he capitalize on the name becoming available.

Re: Old uBlock - this pisses me off. Right now the computer I was using uBlock on is kaput (no fault of uBlock). When it is up and running again, I will likely have to replace uBlock - which I had just started to enjoy- with some surrogate uBlock, or go back to running ScriptBlock, AdBlock and FlashControl again.

uBlock is available and works perfectly in Opera28 , I only use Chrome for one website now and that is because I need the built in translator, otherwise Chrome would be gone.

#12 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2015 - 04:34 AM

This stinks, Google remove an extension that has been there for months.   Someone else comes along and posts another version of the extension and uses the exact same name ............. Google allow it to stay.

How can Gorhill's work break their policies and the rip off extension does not?

Because they are two different versions.

The one from chrismatic.io is the original uBlock, while the one Gorhill is still working on is called uBlock Origin (a fork of uBlock, similar to how Adblock Edge is a fork of Adblock Plus).

From Wikipedia's article on uBlock:

In April 2015, lead development of the project was transferred to Chris Aljoudi. Firefox responsibility was transferred to Alex Vallat. At the time, both of the original authors of the Chrome and Firefox extensions (Hill and Deathamns) requested their names to be removed from the list of collaborators to the project.

Raymond Hill continues development of a fork called uBlock Origin. The developers of both repositories continue to communicate and share new code.

Edited by Alexstrasza, 15 April 2015 - 04:34 AM.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,097 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2015 - 04:51 AM

Google is no longer your friend.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#14 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2015 - 04:57 AM

When was Google ever our friend? :busy:

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,097 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2015 - 05:02 AM

Before it became too big and decided to get in bed with the government.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users