Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange Computer Problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sharpy

Sharpy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 02 July 2006 - 04:27 AM

Basically guys I have loads of weird probs on my pc that started a couple of days ago and I am not sure why they have happened or what to do. D Trojanator has already read my HJT file and its clean.

Ok so here are the problems:
1) some areas of my pc seem to be randomly restoring to how they were say a week ago, patches are unistalling and other simiular things.

2)Random buttons on my keyboard and mouse are not functioining properly and then working, very random

3) There is a general slow down in my pc and soem programs are not always working but it think this may be due to the very hot weather.

4) Finally sometimes (seems random) when i turn on my pc its goes to a black screen with a curser just flashing and it does not advance for windows for sometimes up to an hour but this does not always happen when i turn it on.

Hope you can help :thumbsup:

Sharpy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 02 July 2006 - 09:54 AM

Random stuff usually means hardware. The primary suspects: heat, as you mentioned; bad capacitors on the motherboard; power supply; and failing memory.

Heat seems less likely in this case because the problems commence as soon as you turn on the PC. However, it's easy to check. Do you know how to get into BIOS SETUP on your PC? If you can do this most modern motherboards have a page where you can look at the temperatures. Any CPU temp over 50 C with the system idling is a red flag.

If you don't know how to get into SETUP please check your manual or post back with the make and model number of your computer, we'll try to help you.

To check for bad capacitors go to http://www.badcaps.net and look at the pictures. Take the side off your case an take a close look at your mobo. Use a flashlight and magnifier if necessary. The swelling can be pretty subtle.

Memory can be tested with a couple of programs. One of them is available from Microsoft here. Be sure to read all the instructions on the page. Also please note: Do not use your malfunctioning machine to download and build the boot floppy disk or CD! Do it on a working computer!

The only way I know to test a power supply is by substitution. For that reason I suggest checking the other things first. Good luck.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 02 July 2006 - 05:58 PM

Have you cleaned the inside of your computer lately (Last year)?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/cleaning-the-inside-of-your-pc/
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 02 July 2006 - 08:22 PM

Hmm! good one on the heat and the capacitors and other about the heat but there is one thing you might have overlooked. I would suggest backing up all of the important data on this computer to another media like CD-R's or DVD's. No matter what you do it is important that you do this right away.

There is one other thing that can make a computer act this way and that is a hard drive that is on the way out. It may be failing. I would get some hard drive diagnostics from the manufacturer's web site and run them asap. I hoe I am wrong but if I am not please backup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users