Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Laptops with Ubuntu?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 14 April 2015 - 05:53 PM

I'm sure most of you have seen this, if you are interested in commenting I  would love to hear what the deal is. http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=04&fb=1&l=en&model_id=precision-m3800-workstation&oc=cump3800w7p8&s=bsd&vw=classic

It seems as though this is an expensive laptop and it's not a gaming pc.  I guess it's because they are not playing completely by M.S. guidelines with SecureBoot and all? I don't know.  It sure is nice and I do like the Dell laptops that I have checked out so that is good.  They have done a really good job of advertising many different options also OMG, to an extreme! more so than any other advertisement I have seen for a laptop.

I'm curious as to weather this laptop comes with SecureBoot?  I think that would be something important they should point out in this situation.

Subtract 101.50 if you only want Ubuntu 14.04 okay that's good.

I see some other brands are doing this but none that I would consider buying.

Also were/what are these other laptops being built on, like System76 and others that most of us have never heard of.  Are these just Acer, Lenovo etc. relabled?

If I win the lottery this week I'm in!

Let the opinions rip! thanks pcpunk

Edited by pcpunk, 14 April 2015 - 05:56 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 14 April 2015 - 10:18 PM

Well- first off the bat,I would NEVER spend that kind of money on a laptop,especially with only a 15.6 inch display. If you are not going to use this computer for gaming why would you need an I7 processor. If I am going to put out that kind of money I could build a Rolls-Royce desktop that would support any game or application available.Just not something I would even consider- also- it would have to have EVERY LINUX DISTRO on it plus Windows 10 and endless upgrades--- for free!

Edited by paul88ks, 14 April 2015 - 10:23 PM.

#3 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 14 April 2015 - 11:49 PM

Well- first off the bat,I would NEVER spend that kind of money on a laptop,especially with only a 15.6 inch display. If you are not going to use this computer for gaming why would you need an I7 processor. If I am going to put out that kind of money I could build a Rolls-Royce desktop that would support any game or application available.Just not something I would even considerWell- first off the bat,I would NEVER spend that kind of money on a laptop,especially with only a 15.6 inch display. If you are not going to use this computer for gaming why would you need an I7 processor. If I am going to put out that kind of money I could build a Rolls-Royce desktop that would support any game or application available.

I fully agree.

Just not something I would even consider

Nor would I, even if I won the lottery.

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,857 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2015 - 10:57 AM

So what's the point of it all then?  Are they just not able to do it cost effectively without the support of M.S.  I'm guessing they would frown on this open source type of sales.  They certainly have bulk deals with these OEM's to somehow make it cheaper to sell them at lower prices right?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#5 shadow-warrior

shadow-warrior

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 15 April 2015 - 12:04 PM

I have seen a few different makes offering an Ubuntu variant in my travels  though mainly in non US, UK, EU types of places...so maybe licensing laws are different in the so called "Non Free " world..

My concern with selling new PCs with Ubuntu or any linux system is the warranty type of agreements that require you to have the shop repair any issues.  so far in my experience most of the technichians have problems with windows issues and hardly any know squat about linux.... and once the "it's a virus we need to re format " option has gone  people could be having problems.

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,857 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2015 - 03:49 PM

Gotcha, too bad they aren't more competitive.  There were some in cheesemakers-linuxcorner that looked good to, very powerful and configurable.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#7 shadow-warrior

shadow-warrior

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 15 April 2015 - 06:35 PM

when Ubuntu first came out  I thought that it would be user friendly and stable enough to end up on a lot of PCs ...and yet now 14 yrs later it really hasn't ..and a lot of that is probably down to not having the people to sort out joe publics problems .. I can go to almost any PC repair type place and if anyone knows what linux is they probably will only know Ubuntus name...and the occasional guy who knows Red Hat servers...

Windows hasn't really changed much since its beginnings, and it's quite easy to explain to people...  but linux even after 14 yrs i still have to read up to sort stuff out...specially when i change machines / Distros...

Maybe  now Ubuntu has its phone the OS may intice more interest in it as an OS for other things..

#8 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 April 2015 - 12:32 AM

I take it you've been window-shopping. I do that sometimes too.

I'm curious as to weather this laptop comes with SecureBoot?  I think that would be something important they should point out in this situation.

According to the manual it does have secure-boot.
- http://www.dell.com/support/manuals/us/en/04/Topic/precision-m3800-workstation/PREM3800OM-v1/en-us/GUID-36FB2D87-4BBA-47E1-BA70-ECDA6E14BC43
- http://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/precision-m3800-workstation_Owner%27s%20Manual_en-us.pdf

Are they just not able to do it cost effectively without the support of M.S

As far as I can tell this laptop is priced so highly because of the graphics card, 1080p touch-screen display, and powerful Intel CPU. After doing a brief search it seems to be priced comparably to those with similar hardware. To show what I mean I've listed the specs for it, a similary priced HP machine, and my own laptop.

Dell Precision Workstation m3800 Specs:
-$2,355.71 USD (currently there is a 30% off instant spring savings discount making it only $1649.00 USD).
-Intel Core i7-4712HQ [Quad-core 2.30GHz turbo 3.3GHz]
-Windows 7 Professional 64bit or Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit. (Alternatively you can save $101.50 USD by choosing Ubuntu 14.04)
-Nvidia Quadro K1100M 2GB GDDR5
-15.6" 1080p touchscreen display 60Hz
-8GB 1600MHz DDR3 ram
-2.5" 500GB 7200RPM hard drive
-SATA 3 storage interface
-6-cell 61Whr battery
-130W AC Adapter
-Wifi adapter
-USB ethernet adapter
-USB 2.0 x1 and USB 3.0 x3
-SD 4.0 memory card reader
-Mini-DisplayPort DP 1.2
-HDMI 1.4a
-720p 30frames per second web cam (0.92 megapixel still pictures)
-UEFI (including secure-boot support)

HP Z Book F1M35UT#ABA:
-$2,199.00 (BestBuy.com has it for $2,015.42 and includes free shipping)
-Windows 8.1 Pro (allows downgrading to Windows 7 Professional)
-Intel Core i7-4810MQ (Quad-core 2.8ghz turbo 3.8ghz)
-DVD±RW SuperMulti DL Drive
-15.6 inch 1080p display (not a touch screen)
-720p webcam
-NVIDIA Quadro K1100M with 2 GB dedicated GDDR5 video memory
-8GB 1600MHz DDR3L 2DM ram
-256GB PCIe solid state drive
-HP 8-cell 83 Wh Li-Ion Battery
-Wifi adapter
-Gigabit ethernet adapter
-4 USB ports

My Toshiba Satellite S855D-00D001:
-I paid $650 CAD almost 3 years ago (current exchange rates that's about $530 USD)
-AMD A10-4600m Quad-core 2.3GHz turbo 3.2GHz
-Windows 8 64bit, UEFI, secure-boot
-AMD Radeon HD 7660G integrated graphics
-AMD Radeon HD 7610M 1GB DDR3 discreet graphics.
-8GB 1600MHz DDR3 ram
-SDHC/SD card reader (up to 32GB SDHC cards)
-15.6 inch Display (1366x768 max resolution) non-touch.
-VGA display output
-DVD+RW DL SuperMulti DVD drive
-Wifi adapter
-100Mbps Ethernet
-USB 2.0 x1
-USB 3.0 x2
-1.0 megapixel HD webcam
-1TB sata hard drive

As you can see the HP has similar specs for the same price range. While it lacks a touch screen it makes up for it with an SSD and dvd burner. My laptop has similar base features, but lacks the high-end CPU, display, and graphics card, so by comparing its price to the Dell's you can get an idea of how much one is actually paying for those individual pieces of hardware.

I'm with paul88ks, I couldn't spend that much on a laptop; I don't need that kind of power, and tend to replace my computer reasonibly often (every 4 years-ish). When building my first custom desktop I did spend a lot (mostly due to an expensive case and multiple operating systems), but now-adays I'm more interested in low-end to mid-range gear. I spent $650 on my last computer, and aim to spend equal-to-or-less on my next.

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2015 - 01:47 AM

So what's the point of it all then?  

Business use. One cannot ask for a more secure business notebook than one with Linux pre-loaded, and if you were to compare around at those type of computers (mobile workstations), it's not a bad deal. It can handle whatever it's asked to do with the power of the i7. And remember, this isn't the quad core i7 like in my desktop, rather a dual core model. 

Mobile Workstations typically costs more than mainstream consumer grade notebooks does, the one exception being those for extreme gamers. If you think that's expensive, check out some of the Alienware line, over $3,000 each. 

Finally, businesses tends to lease these type of items, just like their cars, really it's a total tax write-off, and Dell will get it back in 3 years, install the latest Windows that will run on it, and resell it for $300 off the price you see today. Check out the Dell Financial Services store, and you'll see. There is no way I'd pay those prices for those computers, especially the notebooks. Many of these in business takes these & slings them in the back seat after a meeting (my former boss used to all the time), or occasionally drops one here & there being careless. After all, they're employees, it's not their personal property, why should they care about handling them like a carton of eggs? They ride those notebooks as hard as the leased cars they drive (as to the latter, I did too :P). We were required to furnish our own computer, a BYOD program. 

http://dellrefurbished.com/

At any rate, these are targeted towards business class users, though anyone can purchase it. Probably a better deal for the hardware than what a System76 notebook would ship with. They're as bad as Apple for hiking up prices. 

Finally, the reason why I'd never give much for a used notebook is because on many Top 10 'worst used items to purchase' lists, are notebooks. 

I'm perfectly happy with my desktop PC, though also have one quite capable MSI notebook with an i5-480M & GeForce GT425M graphics card, in addition to the Intel HD graphics. For $750 in 2011 brand new, a lot of bang for the buck. Today's i5 notebook CPU's aren't hyper threaded, though the i3's are, nor does many have up to a 3.22GHz Turbo Boost when needed by the pressing of a button. Not on an i5 mobile CPU. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users