Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issue with New PC

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Sacks

Sacks

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 14 April 2015 - 04:33 PM

I have recently finished building a new PC and have run into a problem that I have never encountered before and am stumped at the moment as to what the issue is.  The problem is that when I turn the PC on it boots to a screen that just says no video.  If I do a hard reboot by holding the power button and than turn the PC on again it boots up.  I have checked to make sure everything is connected properly and have tried using another power supply and the same thing happens.  Any ideas please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,605 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 14 April 2015 - 04:50 PM

New builds that act whacko need to be restarted from square zero.   Disassemble the entire unit, double check the standoff locations and those needed for grounding on the MOBO.  Only use the bare minimum components to acheive first the video BIOS, then the CPU system BIOS,  memory count and a single beep(if a speaker is connected or optioned) and keyboard lite flash and a search for bootable device.  Enter into BIOS and insure all is well before adding more memory, CD/DVD drive, hard drives one at a time.  If the video is a plugin card, that may be the fault as it can be ground sensitive as in not good enough under higher currents and dropping out.  Onboard video can suffer the same fault and standoffs can be so important in two ways.  They can provide a ground where needed for the power supply and are usually closer to the higher current drawing devices and should have soldered traces around the mounting hole.  The opposite can also happen, metal standoffs too close to traces can be subject to thermal growth of the PCB and shorting out of nearby traces.  Serious investigation into proper placement is usually in a MOBO spec sheet and should be followed to the letter.  I use nylon standoffs and screws, only providing a ground where needed with a simple copper strap around the standoff to the chassis.  The failure to start first time every time is from an inadequate ground and the needed voltage not being drawn through the circuit to start properly the first time.

Edited by mjd420nova, 14 April 2015 - 04:54 PM.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 14 April 2015 - 05:01 PM

Does your video card have multiple outputs?  You might try switching to a different output.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users