Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

changing providers

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 blader

blader

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 14 April 2015 - 01:25 PM

ok Im a PC gamer, (mmos, multiplayer fps, platformers ect ect) I usualy have 2-3 pcs using the internet at one time, and atm I having a problem with my current survice provider month after month so Im tryign to change providers, curently I am looking at 3 providers

Net-Zero, 11.95 a month, I dont know the speed, but its DSL so take that as you will

EarthLink,

unlimited high speed
15mbps   6 months $29.95      41.95$ after the 6 months, will offer promotional prices
+$8 a month if they give us a modem
 no contract, no cancelation
free instal/activate

Time Warner
6mbps  wifi, $27.94  no contract  30 day money back (refunds all chages)
instal: $59     posible deposit charge   
price is locked in for aslong as we have it

I am rather iffy on Net-Zero as by the looks of things they only alow 1 PC to access the internet, though I could be reading it wrong, Earth-Link sems promising, however Time Warner is a similar price slightly slower, but dosnt raise the priceand force us into promotionall bull

Im really justl ooking for sugjestions, opinions, experiences with said companies, ect ect... not cold hard facts, unless itl help the case (like the difrence between 15mbps and 6mbps)

Edited by blader, 14 April 2015 - 02:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 18 April 2015 - 05:46 PM

Performance levels advertised by ISPs normally are 'up to' levels if you read the small print.

Your best bet is to talk to people who use these different ISPs and see what they have to say about the ISP they are connected to. One other thing to be aware of is that performance levels from any one ISP can vary quite markedly with geographical position. I live in a smallish town and the local exchange is nearer to me than to a friend of mine. I used to use the same ISP she still does and her performance is normally twice as good as mine ever was, on a good day !

Ask around.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,097 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 19 April 2015 - 08:59 AM

Those companies business was once only dialups. I doubt any of them actually own any telephone lines. They most likely will rely

heavily on dumping adware onto your computer.

Net-Zero I had a big problem with the first year I had a computer. Make a long story short, I had to resort to filing a complaint with the BBB and

canceling a CCard to be sure they would not steal from me.

You have a telephone line. Surely whichever company owns that line....ATT, Bell, etc. offers DSL. That is your best bet for DSL.

Buy your own modem and router too, if needed. Much less expensive....compared at $8 a month you will have paid for it in less than a year.

DSL bandwidth drops dramatically to zero within 3 miles of source. Cable is more reliable.

Is cable an option?

Repeat...I would stay away from those companies you mentioned.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 blader

blader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2015 - 04:01 PM

I have AT&T atm, unfortunately.... every month they raise the price and Im up to almost $150 now, for basic internet services, and when I ask them why they refuse to explain considering I have a "promotional" deal with them to lower WHAT SHOULD BE a 64$ service to 35$

and currently the only companies that cover here are the ones I listed, and AT&T :(

well there is one more, however aleast they are honest that the basic internet is $80 so while I respect them for that, Im not going with them when I can barley afford 40$

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,097 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 19 April 2015 - 04:17 PM

$150 would be more like a combo deal of Cable TV, internet and phone. I pay $50 a month for 12 mbs. I use it for a home phone with a Skype portable phone. The Skype ph# and

unlimited calling is about $6 a month. My basic TV is another $70. I'm seriously considering dropping the TV. So much more is available online that I am questioning why I haven't

cut the cord.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 blader

blader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2015 - 12:43 PM

unfortunately we don't have TV or phone with them only 24mbps internet..... and we pay all our bills on time, so I don't get at&t's thought process on why we need to pay $150 a month no-mater how many times we are on the phone with customer service and complaining about how wrong the computers are

they do however acknowledge we only have 24mbps internet service with no TV or phone but wont tell us why they wont stick with the price the promotional offer was for

#7 malynensi

malynensi

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 27 May 2015 - 02:42 PM

AT&T are well known for inflating prices. do not go there. 

#8 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 29 June 2015 - 09:27 PM

All I can say is DON'T GET AT&T. Our plan is $180 per month for a basic bundle with 6mbps internet.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users