Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft and Adobe release critical security updates.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 14 April 2015 - 01:18 PM

Today both Microsoft and Adobe have released critical security updates for Windows and Flash. These updates resolve security issues that allow remote code execution or privilege escalation. It is strongly advised that all Windows and Adobe Flash users install these updates.

As part of Microsoft's April Patch Tuesday release are 11 security updates that fix vulnerabilities ithat could allow remote code execution and escalation of privileges. These updates are for multiple Microsoft products including Internet Explorer, Microsoft Office, and Windows. For a full list of security updates released today you can view the Microsoft Security Bulletin Summary for April 2015.

Adobe also released critical security updates for Flash and recommend all users upgrade to Adobe Flash Player 17.0.0.169. These security updates resolve memory corruption vulnerabilities in Flash Player that could allow an attacker to take control of the affected system. As Flash is a common attack vector for exploit kits, it is strongly recommended that you immediately upgrade to the latest version.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,067 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 14 April 2015 - 01:33 PM

Thank you Lawrence for keeping us abreast of these vulnerabilities. Just another in many reasons for being a member of this forum.

#3 moartea50

moartea50

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 14 April 2015 - 01:38 PM

WIndows update isn't showing any important updates at the moment. Thanks for the update Grinler.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2015 - 01:53 PM

WIndows update isn't showing any important updates at the moment. Thanks for the update Grinler.

May not have pushed out to your region yet. I am seeing them on my end:

updates.jpg

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,677 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2015 - 02:32 PM

Just checked for updates manually, and they popped up. I have 9 for Windows 8.1 Professional 64-bits, however, Microsoft Office isn't installed.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2015 - 03:27 PM

Oracle released a patch for Java as well today:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/security/cpuapr2015-2365600.html

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,677 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2015 - 03:28 PM

Which means we're going to receive a million calls starting tomorrow at work because our payroll platform won't be accessible anymore and the employees will get Java prompts every seconds. Yay, I love Java.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#8 greysmouth

greysmouth

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 14 April 2015 - 03:53 PM

Done! Thank you so much buddy! greysmouth BO IT.

#9 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 14 April 2015 - 04:08 PM

Regarding flash updates, are these of concern to users who never use IE (with a built in flash player) but instead use firefox without any flash plugin installed? Also any idea when chrome's internal flash player will get a patch for the current flash vulnerabilities?

Warning about the windows updates, many of the online description pages for them appear to be down at present. The pages for the security updates released today all loaded fine but the pages for non-security updates to windows and programs in the ms office suite mainly gave "oops" errors.

Edited by rp88, 14 April 2015 - 04:09 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#10 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,845 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 14 April 2015 - 04:34 PM

Tomorrow is not going to be a good day.  I think I'll call all my clients and ask for backups today before they update.  I can't count the number of failed or corrupted download/installs/updates that created chaos the day after.  Thankfully most will heed the backup call.  This has become a problem before with Java and many users dumped it thereafter.

#11 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2015 - 04:56 PM

Didn't know java (or flash) caused problems when updating, though windows updates can go badly sometimes. Surely the worst a botched java or flash update can do is cripple one program on a computer system, whilst in the worst case scenario a botched windows update can leave you unable to start the operating system.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#12 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2015 - 04:59 PM

May not have pushed out to your region yet. I am seeing them on my end:

My rule, and hence the timing of my alarm on my phone is 2030 uk time. In my area updates have usually been released by that time, Though I usually check on the wednesday morning as well just to make sure that thre isn't aqnything which should have been offered to me but was a bit late in being made available.

#13 Xirw

Xirw

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2015 - 10:16 PM

so.......do these windows/java updates have problems or not?

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,677 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2015 - 10:17 PM

So far, they don't seem to have any issues. I've rarely seen a rarely buggy Java update, so go ahead. As for the Windows Updates, you can install them right now or wait a few days and wait for other users' input. Personally I installed them and my computer restarded just fine.

unite_blue.png

#15 Xirw

Xirw

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2015 - 10:19 PM

So far, they don't seem to have any issues. I've rarely seen a rarely buggy Java update, so go ahead. As for the Windows Updates, you can install them right now or wait a few days and wait for other users' input. Personally I installed them and my computer restarded just fine.

Thanks for the quick reply.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users