Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Could this be a bad PSU?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 redstar7t

redstar7t

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 14 April 2015 - 01:18 PM

Hi, I have a gaming PC that I built about two years ago. I was playing Minecraft (CPU intensive) and the computer froze and wouldn't respond to anything including ctrl + alt + del. Its never done this before so I held down the power button to turn it off but now it won't turn on again. When I press the power button nothing happens, but when I turn the power supply switch off and on and press the power button, the fans will spin and lights will come on for half a second then turn off. I thought maybe the CPU had overheated but after waiting a while it still didn't turn on. I also tried clearing the CMOS and cutting the power, neither changed anything. The motherboard standby light is on.

Any ideas? Thanks

My specs:
PSU:
FirePower ModXStream Pro 600W 80Plus Semi-Modular High Performance ATX PC Power Supply 600MXSP
SSD:
Intel 330 Series Maple Crest SSDSC2CT120A3K5 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Motherboard:
ASUS P8B75-V LGA 1155 Intel B75 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
RAM:
Patriot Intel Extreme Master, Limited Edition 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model PVI38G160C9K
CPU:
Intel Core i3-3220 Ivy Bridge Dual-Core 3.3GHz LGA 1155 55W BX80637i33220 Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2500
Video Card:
MSI R7770-PMD1GD5 Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
Windows 7 64 bit

Edited by redstar7t, 14 April 2015 - 01:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 williamjohnson

williamjohnson

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 14 April 2015 - 01:40 PM

Hello,

When you turn on the machine do you get a bios screen? If not then the first thing that I would check would be your power supply.  If you do get a bios screen then you need to disable automatic restart on system failure.

To do this press the F8 key (over and over very fast) to get the advanced boot menu. Once the advanced boot menu comes up use the up/down arrows on your keyboard to scroll to "disable automatic restart......"

The best test for a power supply is to replace it with a known good power supply.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users