Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please Help With Video Monitor Problem

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 14 April 2015 - 10:49 AM

Hello All,

Yesterday I was surfing the internet, not doing much of anything, no new updates, no new driver or hardware or software installs, just a slow day checking the forums. Everything seemed normal so I leave the computer to go do something for about an hour. When I come back and pressed the space bar (that is how I wake up my computer) the computer fires up but there is no picture on my monitor. It is dead. So I restart the computer and I can get the BIOS screen on the monitor, and I can navigate through the BIOS screen and on start up I can see the Windows emblem on the monitor, but after that it goes black again. So I dig out my old monitor and hook it up and it works perfectly. My main screen is a Samsung S24D360 hooked up by HDMI to my motherboard, I have no graphics card. My old monitor is a 19 inch HP hooked up by DVI-D. I uninstalled and reinstalled the Intel Graphics driver, I got a different HDMI cable off of my Blu Ray player and tried that, I scanned for malware and everything, but still no signal on my main monitor. I need help to figure this out. Thanks.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,756 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2015 - 10:58 AM

According to the device manager, the device is working properly. I installed this monitor on March 12th, and I have never had any problems. What is my problem? Help!!!

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 twinRraZzorR

twinRraZzorR

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 14 April 2015 - 11:36 AM

According to the device manager, the device is working properly. I installed this monitor on March 12th, and I have never had any problems. What is my problem? Help!!!

Which device is working properly the chipset VGA?!
Have you tried to boot in safe mode it will load the necessary minimum stuff and uses a basic screen resolution as well, also try restoring the OS to an earlier date, then disable the standby (sleep mode) and see what will happen.

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,756 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2015 - 11:56 AM

I do not know exactly what a chipset VGA is. Both of my monitors are plugged into my motherboard. When I wake up my computer, the "dead" monitor acts as if it wants to work. There is a little blue indicator light on the monitor that is off when the monitor is asleep, but when I wake up my computer the blue light turns on and I get the HDMI signal in the corner of the monitor, but there is no picture. Also, I do not know how to fire up the computer in safe mode, and what would I do after that?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 14 April 2015 - 12:04 PM

If the DVI interface works but the HDMI doesn't, try both monitors at the same time and check the BIOS for both.  It is possible that the monitor is not shaking hands with the HDMI port properly.  I had it happen to a 22 inch on a VGA port.  The TV was the second display on the HDMI port and when it was turned on or off it caused the VGA screen to flash and eventually progressed to a failure to start at all.

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,756 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2015 - 12:15 PM

I really have a feeling that it is an HDMI hand shake issue even though I never physically touched anything before the problem started. I have changed out the HDMI cable twice today, and restarted the computer several times and still no signal. Also, I already have both monitors plugged in at the same time and I changed that setting in my BIOS screen.
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/pWSuZjTgnJ0nCEVcGlWp7sK

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,756 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2015 - 01:35 PM

Does anybody have any suggestions?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#8 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,756 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2015 - 02:05 PM

I went into the device manger and I uninstalled and reinstalled and then restarted the system, nothing new to report, still no picture. I went into BIOS and checked around, everything seems good.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#9 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,756 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2015 - 02:41 PM

I just booted in safe mode and I got identical video in both monitors. I am beginning to think that this is NOT an HDMI handshake problem but it is something else. I just don't know what to do at this point.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#10 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,832 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2015 - 05:00 PM

The boot to safe mode and a good display says the normal 480P part of the hardware is okay.  The HDMI port interface is bad on the monitor.

#11 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,756 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2015 - 05:01 PM

So this is what I know.
1. The monitor still does not work.
2. I have used system restore and I restored my system to an earlier date.
3 I have tried 3 different HDMI cables and none seem to work properly on the monitor.
4 I can boot in safe mode and I get a full screen.
5. I can go into BIOS and see the BIOS screen on the monitor.
6. I can see the Windows start up emblem on the screen, but then it goes black after that.
7. Every time I wake up my computer, the HDMI symbol is displayed on my monitor and the blue indicator light comes on.
8 I have uninstalled the monitor and re-installed it in the device management screen.

I can't think of anything else. Please help with some ideas.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#12 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,832 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2015 - 05:10 PM

One idea that now may be causing the problem.  The display itself has its own settings, those may have been changed or defaulted.  One option may cover the time period between when it senses the loss of signal, displays the HDMI error and eventually blanks or shuts off.  I have seen surges over HDMI ports during these transitions from awakening and going to sleep (hibernate).  These surges can cause port failures on both the display and computer.

#13 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,756 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2015 - 05:38 PM

I went through the menu on the display a couple of times, once yesterday and once today. The HDMI emblem always displays on the monitor when I turn it on, and in the menu settings it is definitely set up for automatic detection. I have tried different HDMI cables, but I am still not ruling out an HDMI handshake issue. Unfortunately this monitor does not have a DVI input, the only other input is an analog VGA input, which is unacceptable to a lot of the programs that I run which require HDCP.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#14 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,756 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2015 - 07:37 PM

Would adding a graphics card fix my problem?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#15 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,832 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2015 - 08:03 PM

Yes, as it now appears, your onboard GPU doesn't have enough display resolution to drive the HDMI properly.  I still wonder about the SAFE mode display.    The HDMI is a fickle little port matrix that has handshaking problems that I know of between different manufacturers not willing to share handshake protocols and the ports going wacko or not working at all.  Some port problems can be solved with what could only be called a boot sequence, allowing the needed device to be powered up first in order to acknowledge another port powering up.  This can only be confirmed by trial and error.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users