Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cameras - Are they worth it anymore?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Ivy74

Ivy74

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 14 April 2015 - 09:17 AM

The title says it all. I am in a situation where down the road we might want to use a camera on a regular basis and since my GF considers me the "geek" of the group I am in charge of this decision.

I been pondering on this for a few days and did some quick Google searches and here are some bullet points that personally found true.

1. Point and shoot cameras are a thing of the past. Why? Because what they do and offer you can find on a cell phone and if you are really focused on top quality pictures just pick the cell phone known to have a better camera.
  2. If you want higher quality pictures for long or short distances then SLR is the next best thing. If I do this I am leaning towards the Nikon D3300 for I don't want something so complicated that my GF will never use it, and still have most if not all the options a SLR would offer including changing lenses for longer distances but still offers the simplicity of point and shoot cameras.
  3. Videos - again cell phones work just fine and SLR's work too. So no need for a "dedicated" video camera unless you want to do constant videos which reasons for that past the household I don't see us doing. Only reason IMHO is for those doing their home adult videos and that is not our thing. 

That is where I am at with this for now. Any input especially from camera enthusiasts would be greatly appreciated. 

***Note***

My job has blocked Europe by the firewall which means I can't access this site from the office anymore. So I will barely be here if at all. In case you cared.  :smash:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 14 April 2015 - 09:28 AM

My current phone - Motorola Moto G - has the worst camera I've ever had for a phone. My previous model, a Pantech C610 (?) had a really great lens but lower pixel res.

I bought a Nikon D50 in 2013 and I love it. I'm an amateur photographer and have a gallery on Behance.

I would agree with the video part, however. Unless you're wanting to do some serious, high-quality video, a cell camera will do 90% of the time.

#3 Ivy74

Ivy74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2015 - 09:31 AM

My current phone - Motorola Moto G - has the worst camera I've ever had for a phone. My previous model, a Pantech C610 (?) had a really great lens but lower pixel res.

I bought a Nikon D50 in 2013 and I love it. I'm an amateur photographer and have a gallery on Behance.

I would agree with the video part, however. Unless you're wanting to do some serious, high-quality video, a cell camera will do 90% of the time.

@Netghost56

Thanks for replying. I Google your purchased camera and just curious, what was the reason(s) for that particular model?

Edited by Ivy74, 14 April 2015 - 09:39 AM.

***Note***

My job has blocked Europe by the firewall which means I can't access this site from the office anymore. So I will barely be here if at all. In case you cared.  :smash:

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 14 April 2015 - 12:11 PM

My perspective is that you can't get all the options needed with one digital camera and one lens.  When I scan a 4 by 5 photo at 4800 DPI it yields a file of 25 MB.  A 12 MP camera yields a file of 12 MB.  A $5,000 camera can come close to what an optical  SLR with just a 35 to 210 MM zoom lens and ASA 800 film.  Camera reaction to shutter release being the biggest fault and causes many missed shots when you have to guess when that shutter will open.

#5 Ivy74

Ivy74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2015 - 01:15 PM

My perspective is that you can't get all the options needed with one digital camera and one lens.  When I scan a 4 by 5 photo at 4800 DPI it yields a file of 25 MB.  A 12 MP camera yields a file of 12 MB.  A $5,000 camera can come close to what an optical  SLR with just a 35 to 210 MM zoom lens and ASA 800 film.  Camera reaction to shutter release being the biggest fault and causes many missed shots when you have to guess when that shutter will open.

Ummm...okay but I have no interest in spending a ton. The model I am considering is $500. As far as file size and etc...don't really see any concern on that. I will never ever go back to film nor I see anyone going back to film. Just look at the cameras used for the Sports Illustrated Swim Suit photo shoot. Notice how they quickly connect their cameras to a MAC and browse the pics? Now a photographer at that caliper is using digital I don't see any reason to go back to film.

Now I am a beginner and have no interest in really going past that except messing with the options on the camera itself. Hence why I am leaning to go Nikon D3300 for it's the top rated beginner SLR.  Also, when it comes to the specifics about shutter speed, and this and that I will just walk into a dedicated camera store and say "I want the best beginner SLR" or the other method that I have done is a Google search using the following credentials: 2015 Best SLR. The camera I was leaning towards is #1 on the list and it came out a few years ago which confirms another theory of mine. The manufacturing of new cameras is declining for the majority of average people are just using their cell phones. But if you want frame quality a phone camera could do that but a decent SLR can do better. So it really depends on what is important to the person.

To further that point, I also strongly agree with the articles about how point-&-shoot cameras are being replaced by smartphones. Why carry two devices when one can do both? If you want better quality then start getting in SLR which I am leaning towards.

But as far as getting or not getting all options in one camera is only a concern for a person that is:

A. A camera fanatic and it's their hobby

B. A photographer

For the average joe that wants to take pics of their kids, birds and so on do you really think it's a good idea to advise them to spend $5000 or/and getting more than one camera? IMHO that would be a no. 

***Note***

#6 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 14 April 2015 - 02:23 PM

I bought mine used off Ebay. It has been a great beginner's DSLR. Nikon has kept the same layout on most of their cameras (AFAIK) so upgrading to a newer model would require very little training.

#7 Ivy74

Ivy74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2015 - 03:12 PM

I bought mine used off Ebay. It has been a great beginner's DSLR. Nikon has kept the same layout on most of their cameras (AFAIK) so upgrading to a newer model would require very little training.

Nice. Well I am pretty much on the fence now between two models. Not sure if the cost difference is worth it to me.

Choices are:

Nikon D3300 or D5300

Probably going to hit a specialty store this week if time permits and see what they say. Also looking for a good deal. For my needs I think the 3300 will suffice but if there is something extra like WIFI on the 5300 and assuming the 3300 doesn't have it I can see that being beneficial for utilizing the Internet to upload photos. I did see reference of the cameras having GPS and I can't imagine how that would be beneficial on a camera. In case it's stolen? 

***Note***

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 14 April 2015 - 06:20 PM

If you are interested in photography then one of the Nikon DSLR range will meet your needs. Are they worth it ?  I would say yes because of the incredible flexibility they give you when the conditions get 'interesting' !  A Box Brownie will still take perfectly good photos in bright sunlight, but when the light fails . . .

About three years ago my first Nikon developed a memory fault. Along with the fact that it was due a service this was going to take the cost upto about 65% of the price of a replacement body. so I am now on my second body with the lenses that came with the first one. I am happy to say that it has worked perfectly since I got it - user errors excepted - and if i get another five or six years out of it I will be quite happy.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#9 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,779 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 15 April 2015 - 04:30 AM

Hi Ivy,

Two random things that might open up your selection:

There's a firmware add-on for Canon camera's called magiclantern: http://www.magiclantern.fm/ If you're interested in doing timelapse videos and similar, the magiclantern add-on can be a good argument to take a closer look at Canon. Had I known about this when I committed to a system, things might look different now.

But I didn't and so, now, I have an Olympus camera. It's a so-called micro four-thirds camera. Their sensor doesn't have the same size as the one from a DSLR, but in all other aspects it comes close or is equal to a DSLR. You have the possibility to switch lenses, they make awesome pictures and you are fully in control of all settings.
Their biggest advantage is that they're super light compared to a DSLR. Weight-wise they are more in the range of point&shoot cameras than DSLR.

regards
myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#10 Ivy74

Ivy74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2015 - 01:10 PM

Thanks everyone. So my next move is to go to a camera shop to see all my options. 

***Note***

#11 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 18 April 2015 - 05:15 PM

Always the best thing to do - you may well find some little feature swings you in favour of one make or model over another. For me it was the position of the on/off switch.

Let us know what you finish up with !

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#12 PhotoAce

PhotoAce

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 19 April 2015 - 03:45 PM

I like the heft of a camera, and, as an older person with changing eyesight, I appreciate an optical viewfinder. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users